ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
ITYT Navigator

9-11 Attacks Making Sleep Difficult

Quote:
Almost seven out of 10 Americans experienced some sleep disturbance after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, says a survey that also shows almost half the people say their sleep is only fair or poor.

A poll conducted by the National Sleep Foundation found the death and destruction of the terrorist attacks caused about 69 percent of Americans to have some insomnia during the period immediately after Sept. 11. A survey a year earlier found only 51 percent experiencing insomnia.

tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
ITYT Navigator

Quote:
Almost seven out of 10 Americans experienced some sleep disturbance after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, says a survey that also shows almost half the people say their sleep is only fair or poor.

A poll conducted by the National Sleep Foundation found the death and destruction of the terrorist attacks caused about 69 percent of Americans to have some insomnia during the period immediately after Sept. 11. A survey a year earlier found only 51 percent experiencing insomnia.

Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
To me, the only really surprising thing here is their use of the phrase "...only 51 percent". Is it just me or is that a startlingly high percentage of people to be afflicted with insomnia under "normal" conditions?
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
To me, the only really surprising thing here is their use of the phrase "...only 51 percent". Is it just me or is that a startlingly high percentage of people to be afflicted with insomnia under "normal" conditions?
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:48 PM   #5
ITYT Navigator

High numbers

I think that they must compare it to the number of hours that one is supposed to be getting, and because most people don't sleep that many hours, it is "...only 51 percent."

I think it would have been a better survey had they compared the normal percentage versus the percentage now, giving a 35% increase.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
ITYT Navigator

High numbers

I think that they must compare it to the number of hours that one is supposed to be getting, and because most people don't sleep that many hours, it is "...only 51 percent."

I think it would have been a better survey had they compared the normal percentage versus the percentage now, giving a 35% increase.