ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
ITYT Navigator

Airline Exec: Drop Some Security

Airline Exec: Drop Some Security

Quote:
American Airlines chief executive Donald Carty said Friday another terrorist attack against commercial airlines was unlikely and urged some security measures added at airports be dropped.

"It will be a hollow victory indeed if the system we end up with is so onerous and so difficult that air travel, while obviously more secure, becomes more trouble for the average person than it is worth,'' Carty said in a speech to the American Chamber of Commerce in Tokyo.

tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

I just want the ridiculous security measures replaced with legitimate ones. Or, just drop the ridiculous ones and you aren't lowering security at all.

I think that he's absolutely crazy if he thinks that there won't be another attack. Certainly, I'm not expecting an identical plot to work. However, airliners have historically been the target of terrorists. Ever since May of 1962 when terrorists bombed Continental Airlines flight #11, the powerful political statement of downing a prominent flight of a large airline has changed the way that we think about both air travel and terrorism. I doubt that this 40 year old technique would die any time soon, especially after such proven success on September 11, 2001.

Minimally, I would be uncomfortable making such a bold statement when you're not able to control the outcome. Regardless, the CEO of American Airline is hardly someone that I trust when it comes to the possibility of future terrorist attacks.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote