ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
ITYT Captain

New Federal Airport Security Forces Butt Heads With Local Of

New Federal Airport Security Forces Butt Heads With Local Officials

Quote:
Showdown between local jurisdiction and The Feds over Airport 'security'. Thursday's WALL STREET JOURNAL reports: "A new turf war is slowing the national effort to improve airport security, as many local airport officials, accustomed to having greater control, are pushing back against the federal safety drive.

"Airport directors, typically appointed by local authorities, say they are frustrated, confused and, sometimes, barely on speaking terms with federal regulators over how best to protect travelers while keeping planes flying on time."

The JOURNAL continues: "Houston's airport-system director, Richard M. Vacar, decries 'arbitrary' federal parking restrictions at his facilities. In Reno, Nev., airport director Krys Bart bemoans what she calls a 'police-state' atmosphere created by federally supervised screeners who scream at passengers 'like a drill sergeant'

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

New Federal Airport Security Forces Butt Heads With Local Of

New Federal Airport Security Forces Butt Heads With Local Officials

Quote:
Showdown between local jurisdiction and The Feds over Airport 'security'. Thursday's WALL STREET JOURNAL reports: "A new turf war is slowing the national effort to improve airport security, as many local airport officials, accustomed to having greater control, are pushing back against the federal safety drive.

"Airport directors, typically appointed by local authorities, say they are frustrated, confused and, sometimes, barely on speaking terms with federal regulators over how best to protect travelers while keeping planes flying on time."

The JOURNAL continues: "Houston's airport-system director, Richard M. Vacar, decries 'arbitrary' federal parking restrictions at his facilities. In Reno, Nev., airport director Krys Bart bemoans what she calls a 'police-state' atmosphere created by federally supervised screeners who scream at passengers 'like a drill sergeant'

Old 03-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
In Reno, Nev., airport director Krys Bart bemoans what she calls a 'police-state' atmosphere created by federally supervised screeners who scream at passengers 'like a drill sergeant'
If I remember correctly, Mr. Magaw stated that the screeners will show COURTESY to the travellers.

If one of these morons raises their voice to me, I will make the TSA supervisor for that Airport wish they had taken a different government hack job.
CameraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
In Reno, Nev., airport director Krys Bart bemoans what she calls a 'police-state' atmosphere created by federally supervised screeners who scream at passengers 'like a drill sergeant'
If I remember correctly, Mr. Magaw stated that the screeners will show COURTESY to the travellers.

If one of these morons raises their voice to me, I will make the TSA supervisor for that Airport wish they had taken a different government hack job.
CameraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:54 AM   #5
ITYT Captain

It's rough; I see your point, but ultimately you just want to get through and not deal with it at all.

It's not like we're able to change the system, anyway. Clearly Bush isn't, even though he thinks he is. "Everything has been done. . ."
Old 04-02-2002, 10:54 AM   #6
ITYT Captain

It's rough; I see your point, but ultimately you just want to get through and not deal with it at all.

It's not like we're able to change the system, anyway. Clearly Bush isn't, even though he thinks he is. "Everything has been done. . ."