ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
ITYT Captain

Post Survey: Airlines Could Save $1 Billion A Year By Cuttin

Airlines Could Save $1 Billion A Year By Cutting Commissions

Quote:
CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- The financially-strapped airline industry could save close to $1 billion a year if it follows the lead of Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) , which Thursday cut to the bone the ticket commissions it pays to travel agents.
Does anyone here actually use travel agents to regularly book airline tickets for you? If so, why? What downsides do you have to accept for the benefits that you prefer?

This is certainly going to lead to fees being charged by agents to book a ticket. They've only been breaking even on this sort of thing for quiet a while.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

Post Survey: Airlines Could Save $1 Billion A Year By Cuttin

Airlines Could Save $1 Billion A Year By Cutting Commissions

Quote:
CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- The financially-strapped airline industry could save close to $1 billion a year if it follows the lead of Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) , which Thursday cut to the bone the ticket commissions it pays to travel agents.
Does anyone here actually use travel agents to regularly book airline tickets for you? If so, why? What downsides do you have to accept for the benefits that you prefer?

This is certainly going to lead to fees being charged by agents to book a ticket. They've only been breaking even on this sort of thing for quiet a while.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
I don't, and wouldn't use an agent to get from A to B, but there are times it's more complex than that, and the extra tools that an agent has can be really nice. For example, coming back to Australia, my agent was able to get me back to Sydney by routing me through Melbourne. This was only an issue because I had a deadline (New Years Eve).

Also, when I was flying for business, it was nice to be bale to send the agent my itenerary and have her call me up in a few hours with everything taken care of.

Also, if you are going on vacation, they can sometimes get package deals that wind up saving you quite a bit. On my trip to the outback I got airfare+3 day tour($400) for the same price as the airfare was going to cost alone ($1000).

The experience of an agent can sometimes save you time or money, or sometimes they can steer you towards a better hotel. It all depends on the agent.

I don't know about the US airlines, but Qantas has done a half and half thing here. They offer some fares that are not available to travel agents, and only available on the internet. These are usually aimed towards the vacationer who is looking to save every dollar possible.
chodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:55 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
I don't, and wouldn't use an agent to get from A to B, but there are times it's more complex than that, and the extra tools that an agent has can be really nice. For example, coming back to Australia, my agent was able to get me back to Sydney by routing me through Melbourne. This was only an issue because I had a deadline (New Years Eve).

Also, when I was flying for business, it was nice to be bale to send the agent my itenerary and have her call me up in a few hours with everything taken care of.

Also, if you are going on vacation, they can sometimes get package deals that wind up saving you quite a bit. On my trip to the outback I got airfare+3 day tour($400) for the same price as the airfare was going to cost alone ($1000).

The experience of an agent can sometimes save you time or money, or sometimes they can steer you towards a better hotel. It all depends on the agent.

I don't know about the US airlines, but Qantas has done a half and half thing here. They offer some fares that are not available to travel agents, and only available on the internet. These are usually aimed towards the vacationer who is looking to save every dollar possible.
chodson is offline   Reply With Quote