ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2001, 05:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Three U.S. airlines request more data on BA-AMR alliance

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Three major U.S. airlines filed a motion with U.S. transportation officials calling on British Airways (quote from Yahoo! UK & Ireland: BAY.L) to produce more data on its proposed alliance with AMR Corp.'s (NYSE:AMR - news) American Airlines.

Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL - news), Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - news) and Northwest Airlines (NasdaqNM:NWAC - news) said in a joint filing that they want British Airways to produce new documents in connection with its application for antitrust immunity for the deal.

The airlines said the request comes after media reports suggesting that British Airways may abandon all short-haul flights and withdraw from London's Gatwick Airport to focus its operations at London Heathrow Airport.
__________________

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Three U.S. airlines request more data on BA-AMR alliance

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Three major U.S. airlines filed a motion with U.S. transportation officials calling on British Airways (quote from Yahoo! UK & Ireland: BAY.L) to produce more data on its proposed alliance with AMR Corp.'s (NYSE:AMR - news) American Airlines.

Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL - news), Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - news) and Northwest Airlines (NasdaqNM:NWAC - news) said in a joint filing that they want British Airways to produce new documents in connection with its application for antitrust immunity for the deal.

The airlines said the request comes after media reports suggesting that British Airways may abandon all short-haul flights and withdraw from London's Gatwick Airport to focus its operations at London Heathrow Airport.
__________________

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Justice: BA-AA Alliance Should Cede Slots

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department (news - web sites) on Monday urged the rejection of a proposed alliance of British Airways (BAY.L) and American Airlines unless rival U.S. carriers are granted slots for at least nine daily round trips to London's Heathrow Airport from New York and Boston.

The department's antitrust division said the Transportation Department should require the new slots, along with ''substantial new air service from other U.S. cities,'' before letting the two airlines consummate the deal.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Northwest Airlines: U.S. Department Of Justice Opposes American Airlines-British Airways Combination

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- The following was released today by Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines and Northwest Airlines:

The proposed transatlantic alliance between American Airlines (AA) and British Airways (BA) is so highly anticompetitive that it has been opposed by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), according to three major U.S. airlines.

Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - news), Delta Airlines (NYSE: DAL - news) and Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - news) applauded the DOJ for taking a stand against the alliance in its filing with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

The DOJ stated that the alliance threatens a substantial loss of competition which would likely result in higher air fares and reduced service.

The DOJ's position is consistent with the position it took in 1998, when AA-BA abandoned a very similar plan for cooperation.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Justice: BA-AA Alliance Should Cede Slots

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department (news - web sites) on Monday urged the rejection of a proposed alliance of British Airways (BAY.L) and American Airlines unless rival U.S. carriers are granted slots for at least nine daily round trips to London's Heathrow Airport from New York and Boston.

The department's antitrust division said the Transportation Department should require the new slots, along with ''substantial new air service from other U.S. cities,'' before letting the two airlines consummate the deal.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
ITYT Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: IAH/HOU
Posts: 2,354
Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Northwest Airlines: U.S. Department Of Justice Opposes American Airlines-British Airways Combination

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- The following was released today by Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines and Northwest Airlines:

The proposed transatlantic alliance between American Airlines (AA) and British Airways (BA) is so highly anticompetitive that it has been opposed by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), according to three major U.S. airlines.

Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - news), Delta Airlines (NYSE: DAL - news) and Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - news) applauded the DOJ for taking a stand against the alliance in its filing with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

The DOJ stated that the alliance threatens a substantial loss of competition which would likely result in higher air fares and reduced service.

The DOJ's position is consistent with the position it took in 1998, when AA-BA abandoned a very similar plan for cooperation.
__________________

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.



Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0