ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
ITYT Navigator

3/22-3/24 AUS-IAH-JAX-IAH-AUS

I arrived at AUS late, as I had spent the night at a Fatboy Slim concert with bovineone and some other of the UD/distributed.net staff, and didnít come home till 3:30ish. My flight left at 8:50, I arrived at 8:20. Luckily AUS isnít crowded, and I didnít have any lines to wait in. But I did get the full wand over and pat down after going through the check point, I think it was because my bag was slow to go through (lots of gadgets) so I had to hesitate for it to come out, that or they donít trust young people in jeans and a white button down shirt. The security guy made some mindless chit-chat with me asked me where I was going; I told him I was off to see my grandfather who was turning 90. He made some jokes about old people, I didnít laugh, and he let me leave after taking off my shoes. I walked up to the gate right before they called all aboard. The plane had already filled up, but there was plenty of room left for my bag in first class, which was a business first configuration because it was a 757. I sat down, waited for takeoff, then leaned that seat all the way back and put the foot rest up and caught some sleep. I did notice that the taxi way for runway 35 was shut down and the plane had to taxi down the runway, then do a u-turn, and take off.

I woke up as we were coming in to IAH, just in time to hear the flight attendant say that this plane was continuing in to MCO, I wondered if they would let me stay on, I really like those seats, cause the town I was going to is about the same distance from JAX as MCO, next time imp flying to MCO, this time I got out at IAH. We came in D terminal, which was about 3 gates before the farthest point from my connecting gate. Dbakers and my earlier attempt to hitch a ride on the back of one of the carts had been thwarted, this time I didnít fail. A cart went by with all old people, all facing forward, I caught the rail and placed one foot on the cart, ahhh what a ride! The cart took me almost all the way; it went strait where I needed to take a right to go to the p-club, or a left to my gate, so I hopped off. I checked the monitors to see how much time I had, it was plenty. I went to the p-club and made some new friends.

My flight to JAX wasnít that bad, especially in those big, comfy seats up front! The food choice was either pizza or shells filled with cheese, since I had pizza less than a few hours ago on Sixth Street, I opted for the shells, and my seatmate got the pizza. The shells looked a lot better, but since my seatmate was talking to the person behind them about ďRandy,Ē I didnít feel that bad for him.

The plane landed and as we taxied in, I noticed 2 Air Force jets on strip-alert and 2 more get serviced. My ride was late to get to JAX so I wondered around the airport. They had a Frank Stella exhibit up, which was nice, I have always like him after I met him a couple years ago. My ride arrived and I left.

tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
ITYT Navigator

3/22-3/24 AUS-IAH-JAX-IAH-AUS

I arrived at AUS late, as I had spent the night at a Fatboy Slim concert with bovineone and some other of the UD/distributed.net staff, and didnít come home till 3:30ish. My flight left at 8:50, I arrived at 8:20. Luckily AUS isnít crowded, and I didnít have any lines to wait in. But I did get the full wand over and pat down after going through the check point, I think it was because my bag was slow to go through (lots of gadgets) so I had to hesitate for it to come out, that or they donít trust young people in jeans and a white button down shirt. The security guy made some mindless chit-chat with me asked me where I was going; I told him I was off to see my grandfather who was turning 90. He made some jokes about old people, I didnít laugh, and he let me leave after taking off my shoes. I walked up to the gate right before they called all aboard. The plane had already filled up, but there was plenty of room left for my bag in first class, which was a business first configuration because it was a 757. I sat down, waited for takeoff, then leaned that seat all the way back and put the foot rest up and caught some sleep. I did notice that the taxi way for runway 35 was shut down and the plane had to taxi down the runway, then do a u-turn, and take off.

I woke up as we were coming in to IAH, just in time to hear the flight attendant say that this plane was continuing in to MCO, I wondered if they would let me stay on, I really like those seats, cause the town I was going to is about the same distance from JAX as MCO, next time imp flying to MCO, this time I got out at IAH. We came in D terminal, which was about 3 gates before the farthest point from my connecting gate. Dbakers and my earlier attempt to hitch a ride on the back of one of the carts had been thwarted, this time I didnít fail. A cart went by with all old people, all facing forward, I caught the rail and placed one foot on the cart, ahhh what a ride! The cart took me almost all the way; it went strait where I needed to take a right to go to the p-club, or a left to my gate, so I hopped off. I checked the monitors to see how much time I had, it was plenty. I went to the p-club and made some new friends.

My flight to JAX wasnít that bad, especially in those big, comfy seats up front! The food choice was either pizza or shells filled with cheese, since I had pizza less than a few hours ago on Sixth Street, I opted for the shells, and my seatmate got the pizza. The shells looked a lot better, but since my seatmate was talking to the person behind them about ďRandy,Ē I didnít feel that bad for him.

The plane landed and as we taxied in, I noticed 2 Air Force jets on strip-alert and 2 more get serviced. My ride was late to get to JAX so I wondered around the airport. They had a Frank Stella exhibit up, which was nice, I have always like him after I met him a couple years ago. My ride arrived and I left.
tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote