ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
ITYT Cabin Crew

AUS-IAH-AMS-IAH-AUS; CO dec 14/29 2002

Here a trip report from a none-elite member who is trying to become at least CO Silver with this trip. The trip is my christmas vacation to the Netherlands.

The first segment, AUS-IAH was the usual boring 737 flight. Check in went smoothly, I was in 5F, so I boarded last. When I entered the plane, a lady was sitting in my seat. I asked her if she was sure if it was her seat, and she responded to me that she didn't speak English in a French accent. Yeah sure, a hot French chick trying to use her charms to get a better seat. Doesn't work with me! So she moved to 5E, together with her suitcase that was obviously waaaay to big for carry-on. She showed me her boarding pass that mentioned 14D, by the way. I didn't say anything, after all, I was in 5F and I rather have a hot French chick next to me over an empty seat. The flight attendant mentioned that she couldn't have her suitcase between her legs, esp. since in row 5 (bulkhead) you cannot put it under the seat in front of you. Of course she tried to weasel out by pretending not to speak French. The FA was obviously pissed. She and another purser tried to cram the huge thing in the overheads, which finally succeeded. I hate people who think they can pull of everything because they think they're pretty...

At the drink service I ordered coffee, which was still brewing, as I was told, but I never got anything. Then again, the whole flight is 28 minutes in the air, so I really didn't mind that much.

After a 3 hour wait in Houston, which I passed by drinking some last Shiners at a bar (I of course cannot get into a P-club, pout), boarding of the 767-200 went smoothly. I was seat 18L, window. The good thing about rows 16/17/18 in a 767-200 is that they are the first 3 rows of coach, and then there is a lavatory block. So you have your own 3-row mini-cabin, which is usually only occupied by either Elites or frequent flyers. (when I booked, I was a temp-Silver because of some CO Website Special, hence the 5F and 18L). So everybody in that mini-cabin is used to flying, which makes the experience very good. No shouting, no schoolclasses, no kids, just business people. Wonderful.

Continental has stripped down on the service since last July. Alcoholic beverages, which used to be free on coach on international flights, now cost $4 (or E4), just as in domestic flights. Headphones are still complimentary, fortunately. But, no eye-pads, and no ear-plugs. Fortunately, I had, purely by chance, 40 Euros in my wallet, so I could get some drinks. No ear-plugs, which I did count on, tho. Bummer.

Also, the games on my personal video screen didn't work, but that might just not be enabled, I've never been able to play a video game on those things.

Other than that, the flight was uneventful. The food was so-so, I usually am happy with the slightly mediocre flight-food, but this was a little less. The croissant that I had for breakfast was most probably the cause for some rumbling stomach aches the remainder of the day.

Disembarking was quick, the Dutch immigration said "Welcome home", and my parents were already waving from behind the glass screens. I'm home.

Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

Re: AUS-IAH-AUS; CO dec 14 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto
Also, the games on my personal video screen didn't work, but that might just not be enabled, I've never been able to play a video game on those things.
Same here. I'm too embararssed to ask the flight attendants for help and don't really care all that much either, besides the novelty factor of seeing it. They don't look too exciting in the magazine or in the TV demonstration, but I'd like to be able to fiddle with it.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
ITYT Cabin Crew

If I press "mode'', it only switched between VID and AUD and wouldn't go to "INT''. Odd. Then again, they had to ''reboot'' the system halfway the flight, too...
Old 12-17-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
The games worked on my first 777-200 transatlantic (IAH->EWR) and they weren't compelling enough for me to have ever checked on any subsequent flights.

Cycling past AUD and VID through INT is common enough for me, though, that I suspect I'd have noticed if INT was skipped on a flight. Don't recall that ever being the case.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM   #5
ITYT Captain

INT is usually just a black screen and I thought it was just a way to select intercom-only transmissions.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:06 AM   #6
ITYT Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
The games worked on my first 777-200 transatlantic (IAH->EWR)
What kind of routing made that a transatlantic flight?
Old 12-18-2002, 10:18 AM   #7

maybe he means transatlantic configured airplane?
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
ITYT Navigator

bah. no, I meant IAH->CDG. Dunno what crack I was smoking.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:18 PM   #9

wait a sec, your leto?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:00 AM   #10
ITYT Navigator

what on earth are you talking about?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:05 AM   #11

Nevermind
Old 12-30-2002, 09:12 AM   #12
ITYT Cabin Crew

The return trip: AMS-IAH-AUS; CO dec 29 2002

A sequel on the trip from Texas to Amsterdam 2 weeks ago. While I wrote in my previous report that it was the story of a non-elite member, now I'm proud Continental Silver for all through 2003. It started at checking in at Schiphol (aka Amsterdam Airport), where I got my very first EUA for the segment from IAH to AUS. However, being a Silver, I don't get companion upgrades, so my boarding pass with 2B looked kinda weird next to Kristin's 32B. So I did something that I'd never thought of doing: I requested a *downgrade* to 32A... I bet the girl behind the counter had never done that before either because it took quite a while. She did moved us from 32 to 8, which is kinda nice. So far for my very first upgrade....

Although the international segment didn't leave until 3:25, the boarding time on the boarding pass said 1:30 and the girl said the gate closed at 2. I thought that was rather early, but you never know what's up with these new security measurements. After a last coffee with my parents and sister, Kristin and I walked to the gate. At passport checks we ended up behind an Arabic looking guy who was subsequently called into the custom's office. Were his papers really not in order or is there really some profiling going on?

Arriving at the gate at 1:59 I asked the gate agent why the boarding pass said "gate closes 14:00". He said that it was to have a better distribution of people passing through the metal detectors that are at every gate in Schiphol. (the main 'passing into the gate area' at Schiphol consists of only checking of passports). Also, everybody gets called to a gate agent individually who asks you a few questions, including the regular ones about packing your luggage. The whole process including xray etc took about 5 minutes. No wonder they want a good distribution of people coming in. But next time I'll just walk up there 45 minutes in advance, that'll work just as well, I could've spent at least half an hour more with my parents.

The flight itself was pretty uneventful. I do like travelling eastbound a lot better tho, you usually leave in the evening, get some sleep and arrive the next morning, local time, semi-rested. Westbound, you leave in the late afternoon AND arrive in the late afternoon and then a 10 hour flight is suddenly very very long.

Getting through various agencies at IAH was the fastest I've seen so far. There was no line at Immigration, the bags came out quickly and customs didn't ask any questions. I was in the terminal in under 15 minutes. Too bad that I had to go through security again before being able to get into the terminal. After all, I hadn't 'left' the secure area since Amsterdam.

And man, suddenly that last segment to Austin takes LONG! It was 4am European time for me and I was completely exhausted. And Austin Airport really is by far the slowest airport with respect to getting your luggage. It took at over 20 minutes before the carrousel even starting running, and they piled all 4 arriving Continental flights on the same belt, while 3 other belts were unused. It turns out that I missed Nugget by 2 hours in IAH and AUS, I had the 8:45 out of IAH and he had the 10:10 our of IAH.

Roy's taxi cab brought us home quickly (and rather cheap, $30 to get to Lamar Blvd for the Austinites), and finally, after 16 hours of travel, sleep was near.