ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
ITYT Captain

Continental: February 22-23 (AUS-IAH-JAX-IAH-AUS)

February 22, 2002 AUS-IAH (Continental 686, 2B, 757-200, Beverage)

I showed up about 15 minutes before boarding, checked in at the main ticket counter, and headed through security.

Must have been my lucky day because I got pulled aside to take my shoes off and have them run through the x-ray machine while they wanded me down a few times. They didn’t take a look at my carry-ons, though. Minutes later, I was arriving at the Presidents Club. I was greeted by name and told that 686 is having some crew rest issues and will be delayed about half an hour.

Not a problem for me – I had yet to eat breakfast yet, so I toasted a bagel, grabbed a donut, some coffee, and had a relaxing breakfast while watching the news. A delay out of AUS is never a problem, anyway. The flight is scheduled as 1h5min, not including boarding even though taxi time in AUS is short and it’s only about 25-30min of flying time.

An announcement was made that 686 to Houston was boarding, so I trotted downstairs and walked onto my flight without incident.

Two drink services later and we arrived in Houston about 15 minutes after schedule.

While on the flight, I discussed the AUS presidents club with the gentlemen next to me. He suggested going up there and having them swipe your card whenever you’re in the airport, even if you don’t have time to visit the club just so that you can give them some business and ensure that they’ll stick around. Good advice, I think, and I intended to do it on my return segment (although I forgot).

February 22, 2002 IAH-JAX (Continental 1668, 2B, 737-300, Lunch)

As I approached the gate in IAH’s C concourse about 5 minutes before boarding, a gate agent walked up to me and asked, “Are you a confirmed and ticketed passenger to Jacksonville?”

”Ummm… Yes… Is there a problem,” I nervously responded?

“Come with me, please,” she said and walked towards the gate.

Oh, I was being searched. Take the shoes off again.

The guy was a foreigner that spoke very little English, which made the entire process more pleasant. He didn’t acre much for the fact that I had carefully packed my bag to avoid wrinkling my clothes and such, which I had to give him some grief about and re-packed my bags myself.

I ended up boarding late after completing the search.

We took off on time. The lead FA doing the announcements thanked customers for flying Continental and allowing her to have a job that she enjoys so much.

Lunch orders were taken after take-off. I opted for the chicken sandwich instead of the fish dish. The lunch was not too bad, although the soup was only “warm” when served and it was strange to serve a bread roll that’s made out of the same bread roll as the chicken sandwich.

Service throughout the flight was excellent, as usual. I watched Oceans Eleven on my notebook computer with my Bose Headphones and relaxed until we touched down in JAX, about three and a half hours after boarding (including the +1h time change).

February 23, 2002 JAX-IAH (Continental 269, 2B, 737-500, Lunch)

I woke up and immediately checked my RIM to see if I’d been EUAed for the trip home. No such luck. The flight had been A8F0 and then A7F0 for days before the flight. I called Continental’s Gold Elite line and asked if there was anything they could do for me, but it was just suggested (as I suspected) that I should show up two hours before the flight to try and get a seat. Unfortunately, it was <2h before the flight when I called – just when I rolled out of bed.

I got dressed, checked out of the hotel, and headed to JAX. It’s normally a 20min drive, but it was slow with construction, unexpected cold weather, and rain.

I showed up about 40min before the flight and expected very few seats to be available up front, if any. As I walked towards the ticket counter, I saw 4 guys carrying blue Silver Elite cards about to reach the. Doh! I looked around and quickly ran to an eService machine, slid my Gold card in and out, and hit [YES] to the upgrade question about as quickly as I could and then stood there in suspense while it processed my request. Phew, 2B all the way through – the only seats left available.

I hid about ~250ft from the gate and boarded semi-late to avoid being searched again. I walked by the gate a few times and got a picture for the gallery.

The flight boarded without incident although we ended up leaving JAX about 25min late.

Lunch orders were taken almost immediately. I opted for lasagna instead of a crab stuffed sandwich. The crab sandwich people certainly got the shaft since they were served the whole meal on a tray while the lasagna option was a multi-course event and quite an excellent lunch.

Service was excellent throughout. At the end of the flight, the FA made an announcement that many people had requested that she “call ahead and hold the AUS flight” for people with tight connections, like me. I hadn’t even thought about it since I felt that there was ample time, but she said that they were ‘holding’ it, which I didn’t buy for a second. After all, the airline already knows that you’re coming and will decide to hold it or not independent of if you “call ahead” or not. It turned out that the flight was delayed 10 minutes so it was a breeze anyway. A bunch of people pushed and ran off the flight. I stopped twice along the way only to see those same people waiting outside C38 with me.

February 23, 2002 IAH-AUS (Continental 1041, 2B, 737-700, Beverage)

Boarding began, they took my pass, passport, handed me my stub, and told me to step aside for a security check. Damn it. The shoes come at an airport for the third time in 24 hours. I handed the security girl my bags, took off my shoes, pouted about being searched again, and sat down. She did something to my shaving cream because it started spraying everywhere out the bottom, so I had her throw it out. I seemed familiar enough with the searching process that she blew by it for me and virtually did nothing but rifle through my briefcase for a couple seconds.

Two drink services, a few crying babies, and an hour later I was driving in beautiful Austin weather with the top down. ~36 hours at home before heading back to JAX.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

February 22, 2002 AUS-IAH (Continental 686, 2B, 757-200, Beverage)

I showed up about 15 minutes before boarding, checked in at the main ticket counter, and headed through security.

Must have been my lucky day because I got pulled aside to take my shoes off and have them run through the x-ray machine while they wanded me down a few times. They didn’t take a look at my carry-ons, though. Minutes later, I was arriving at the Presidents Club. I was greeted by name and told that 686 is having some crew rest issues and will be delayed about half an hour.

Not a problem for me – I had yet to eat breakfast yet, so I toasted a bagel, grabbed a donut, some coffee, and had a relaxing breakfast while watching the news. A delay out of AUS is never a problem, anyway. The flight is scheduled as 1h5min, not including boarding even though taxi time in AUS is short and it’s only about 25-30min of flying time.

An announcement was made that 686 to Houston was boarding, so I trotted downstairs and walked onto my flight without incident.

Two drink services later and we arrived in Houston about 15 minutes after schedule.

While on the flight, I discussed the AUS presidents club with the gentlemen next to me. He suggested going up there and having them swipe your card whenever you’re in the airport, even if you don’t have time to visit the club just so that you can give them some business and ensure that they’ll stick around. Good advice, I think, and I intended to do it on my return segment (although I forgot).

February 22, 2002 IAH-JAX (Continental 1668, 2B, 737-300, Lunch)

As I approached the gate in IAH’s C concourse about 5 minutes before boarding, a gate agent walked up to me and asked, “Are you a confirmed and ticketed passenger to Jacksonville?”

”Ummm… Yes… Is there a problem,” I nervously responded?

“Come with me, please,” she said and walked towards the gate.

Oh, I was being searched. Take the shoes off again.

The guy was a foreigner that spoke very little English, which made the entire process more pleasant. He didn’t acre much for the fact that I had carefully packed my bag to avoid wrinkling my clothes and such, which I had to give him some grief about and re-packed my bags myself.

I ended up boarding late after completing the search.

We took off on time. The lead FA doing the announcements thanked customers for flying Continental and allowing her to have a job that she enjoys so much.

Lunch orders were taken after take-off. I opted for the chicken sandwich instead of the fish dish. The lunch was not too bad, although the soup was only “warm” when served and it was strange to serve a bread roll that’s made out of the same bread roll as the chicken sandwich.

Service throughout the flight was excellent, as usual. I watched Oceans Eleven on my notebook computer with my Bose Headphones and relaxed until we touched down in JAX, about three and a half hours after boarding (including the +1h time change).

February 23, 2002 JAX-IAH (Continental 269, 2B, 737-500, Lunch)

I woke up and immediately checked my RIM to see if I’d been EUAed for the trip home. No such luck. The flight had been A8F0 and then A7F0 for days before the flight. I called Continental’s Gold Elite line and asked if there was anything they could do for me, but it was just suggested (as I suspected) that I should show up two hours before the flight to try and get a seat. Unfortunately, it was <2h before the flight when I called – just when I rolled out of bed.

I got dressed, checked out of the hotel, and headed to JAX. It’s normally a 20min drive, but it was slow with construction, unexpected cold weather, and rain.

I showed up about 40min before the flight and expected very few seats to be available up front, if any. As I walked towards the ticket counter, I saw 4 guys carrying blue Silver Elite cards about to reach the. Doh! I looked around and quickly ran to an eService machine, slid my Gold card in and out, and hit [YES] to the upgrade question about as quickly as I could and then stood there in suspense while it processed my request. Phew, 2B all the way through – the only seats left available.

I hid about ~250ft from the gate and boarded semi-late to avoid being searched again. I walked by the gate a few times and got a picture for the gallery.

The flight boarded without incident although we ended up leaving JAX about 25min late.

Lunch orders were taken almost immediately. I opted for lasagna instead of a crab stuffed sandwich. The crab sandwich people certainly got the shaft since they were served the whole meal on a tray while the lasagna option was a multi-course event and quite an excellent lunch.

Service was excellent throughout. At the end of the flight, the FA made an announcement that many people had requested that she “call ahead and hold the AUS flight” for people with tight connections, like me. I hadn’t even thought about it since I felt that there was ample time, but she said that they were ‘holding’ it, which I didn’t buy for a second. After all, the airline already knows that you’re coming and will decide to hold it or not independent of if you “call ahead” or not. It turned out that the flight was delayed 10 minutes so it was a breeze anyway. A bunch of people pushed and ran off the flight. I stopped twice along the way only to see those same people waiting outside C38 with me.

February 23, 2002 IAH-AUS (Continental 1041, 2B, 737-700, Beverage)

Boarding began, they took my pass, passport, handed me my stub, and told me to step aside for a security check. Damn it. The shoes come at an airport for the third time in 24 hours. I handed the security girl my bags, took off my shoes, pouted about being searched again, and sat down. She did something to my shaving cream because it started spraying everywhere out the bottom, so I had her throw it out. I seemed familiar enough with the searching process that she blew by it for me and virtually did nothing but rifle through my briefcase for a couple seconds.

Two drink services, a few crying babies, and an hour later I was driving in beautiful Austin weather with the top down. ~36 hours at home before heading back to JAX.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote