ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Affinity Programs > Credit Cards: Visa/Mastercard
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
JW
ITYT Cabin Crew

FF-earning debit cards?

Does anyone actively use one of the debit cards that earn miles? I've seen a few offers for these, including a Chase card that earns OnePass miles and a Guaranty card linked to AAdvantage.

I love the credit union that I use for my primary checking and savings accounts now, but I've found that I use my debit card for some amount of purchases each month.

So should I give in to the temptation of having a checking account with one of these MegaBanks (ugg), or just start adjusting my purchasing habits to funnel everything through one of my mile-earning credit cards?

-jw

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:55 AM   #2
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Mostly out of curiosity, but why would you prefer a debit card over a credit card?

Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #3
JW
ITYT Cabin Crew

No reason in particular... I do use my Citi AA M/C and Amex cards for the vast majority of my spending. I guess I just have a habit of using the debit card every once in a while instead. No big deal.

From the info I've seen the debit cards available are pretty lousy offers anyway. 1 point per $2 spent, etc + annual fee, etc.

-jw
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:25 AM   #4
ITYT Captain

The offers that you're seeing are consistent with the best offers that I've seen. I don't think that it gets much better.

If you're not a big debit card user (and I'm not sure that there's a reason why anyone should be), then it's probably best to stick with a no-perks card and go for the points/miles/etc with your primary charge or credit card.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Mostly out of curiosity, but why would you prefer a debit card over a credit card?
A credit card is more convenient and can be access anytime.
iancruz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

Hello Friends.....

1. Know which type of debit card you have, and ask your bank whether you have a choice. Some consumers have complained that the bank changed their ATM cards to debit cards that do not require personal identification numbers without letting them know.
2. Always protect your ATM card and keep it in a safe place, just as you would cash, credit cards or checks.
3. Do not leave your debit card lying around the house or on your desk at work.
4. If your card is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used fraudulently, report it immediately to your bank.

Thanks
marvin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #7

If you use PIN, it will be exactly the same as an ATM withdrawal. Most likely your available balance will be reduced by the amount of the transaction immediately, but the details will appear in your account info the next business day.

Joshua.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote