ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Affinity Programs > Credit Cards: Visa/Mastercard
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Positioning myself for a product upgrade

For those who have followed the other thread where I was trying to figure out what non-amex product would be ideal to carry, I did finally settle on a product.

I applied for the highly-rated MBNA Quantum card which looked like exactly the card I was seeking. Sadly, MBNA wasn't impressed enough with my application and I was instead issued their normal MBNA Platinum Plus product. It's my hope over the next year to craft the appropriate spending profile that I will be extended an offer for the Quantum card.

As such, I've made a point to use my MBNA card in each city I've touched during this most recent trip to Europe which I am hoping will assist in grooming my nacent MBNA customer profile.

Does anyone have any advice for other measures I can take to better position myself for an upgrade. I'm not willing to put high-dollar activity on the card, preferring to keep using my Amex products for the bulk of my spending but I'm sure there are other techniques I can use which will be effective.

Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
ITYT Navigator

Positioning myself for a product upgrade

For those who have followed the other thread where I was trying to figure out what non-amex product would be ideal to carry, I did finally settle on a product.

I applied for the highly-rated MBNA Quantum card which looked like exactly the card I was seeking. Sadly, MBNA wasn't impressed enough with my application and I was instead issued their normal MBNA Platinum Plus product. It's my hope over the next year to craft the appropriate spending profile that I will be extended an offer for the Quantum card.

As such, I've made a point to use my MBNA card in each city I've touched during this most recent trip to Europe which I am hoping will assist in grooming my nacent MBNA customer profile.

Does anyone have any advice for other measures I can take to better position myself for an upgrade. I'm not willing to put high-dollar activity on the card, preferring to keep using my Amex products for the bulk of my spending but I'm sure there are other techniques I can use which will be effective.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
I'm not really sure why you guys like Amex so much. For a while there, I was spending several thounsand dollars a month in foreign lands and never had any problems (most of that spending was on my MBNA plat plus, BTW)

Not a criticism, just honest curiousity.
chodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
I'm not really sure why you guys like Amex so much. For a while there, I was spending several thounsand dollars a month in foreign lands and never had any problems (most of that spending was on my MBNA plat plus, BTW)

Not a criticism, just honest curiousity.
chodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 09:09 AM   #5

Well, if they weren't happy enough with _your_ application, I sure won't try to apply
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 09:09 AM   #6

Well, if they weren't happy enough with _your_ application, I sure won't try to apply
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:40 AM   #7
ITYT Navigator

If you never had any problems, then I can see why you might not detect much difference between Amex and "the other card issuers". My primary reason for being such a loyal Amex customer is their ability to go far beyond my expectations in solving problems that do and will arise.

Amex is trying to set themselves apart on the customer service front, and I think they're doing an excellent job.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:40 AM   #8
ITYT Navigator

If you never had any problems, then I can see why you might not detect much difference between Amex and "the other card issuers". My primary reason for being such a loyal Amex customer is their ability to go far beyond my expectations in solving problems that do and will arise.

Amex is trying to set themselves apart on the customer service front, and I think they're doing an excellent job.