ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Affinity Programs > Credit/Charge Cards: American Express
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

How hard is it for you to justify your platinum card?

I pay $225 a year (Fidelity Investments pays $75) for my Platinum card.

My primary use of the card is at Continental Presidents Clubs and Northwest Worldclubs. When I got my Platinum card, I discontinued my Presidents Club membership, which cost $300/year.

The Membership Rewards fee is waived, which saves me $45 or $50 a year, whatever it is.

The "Best Value Guarantee" is a great deal, especially if you frequently buy computer hardware and accessories. So far this year, AmEx has sent me $100 in value guarantees.

I (accidently) drove a rented PT Cruiser into a freeway exit barrier last year and AmEx picked up the $1,500 repair bill.

With my Platinum Card rates and Hertz #1 Club Gold service, I consistently am upgraded from "2-door sporty" to convertible mustangs, even for long rentals.

Today, I received a $50 off a $100 purchase on your Platinum Card at Saks Fifth Avenue. I was planning to go there this weekend to pick up a few things anyway.

Last year for about 6 months, Continental and AmEx had a "triple miles" promotion for travel purchased on The Platinum Card. I earned tens of thousands of miles extra.

The customer service is absolutely incredible and there are probably several benefits that I can't even remember.

How hard is it for me to justify the annual fee? Not very.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

How hard is it for you to justify your platinum card?

I pay $225 a year (Fidelity Investments pays $75) for my Platinum card.

My primary use of the card is at Continental Presidents Clubs and Northwest Worldclubs. When I got my Platinum card, I discontinued my Presidents Club membership, which cost $300/year.

The Membership Rewards fee is waived, which saves me $45 or $50 a year, whatever it is.

The "Best Value Guarantee" is a great deal, especially if you frequently buy computer hardware and accessories. So far this year, AmEx has sent me $100 in value guarantees.

I (accidently) drove a rented PT Cruiser into a freeway exit barrier last year and AmEx picked up the $1,500 repair bill.

With my Platinum Card rates and Hertz #1 Club Gold service, I consistently am upgraded from "2-door sporty" to convertible mustangs, even for long rentals.

Today, I received a $50 off a $100 purchase on your Platinum Card at Saks Fifth Avenue. I was planning to go there this weekend to pick up a few things anyway.

Last year for about 6 months, Continental and AmEx had a "triple miles" promotion for travel purchased on The Platinum Card. I earned tens of thousands of miles extra.

The customer service is absolutely incredible and there are probably several benefits that I can't even remember.

How hard is it for me to justify the annual fee? Not very.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
For me, all it takes is one airline delay where I get to spend hours sitting in a comfy chair drinking free beer instead of catching the flu from some guy next to me in the plastic Furniture de Sade in the terminal.

Weather had me stuck with three cow-orkers in IAH for almost four hours a few months ago and I'd have gladly paid double the $300 annual fee just to be able to get myself and my colleagues (including my boss) into the more pleasant quarters for the stay.

It's simply a matter of reflecting back on those moments when that annual fee shows up on my bill.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
For me, all it takes is one airline delay where I get to spend hours sitting in a comfy chair drinking free beer instead of catching the flu from some guy next to me in the plastic Furniture de Sade in the terminal.

Weather had me stuck with three cow-orkers in IAH for almost four hours a few months ago and I'd have gladly paid double the $300 annual fee just to be able to get myself and my colleagues (including my boss) into the more pleasant quarters for the stay.

It's simply a matter of reflecting back on those moments when that annual fee shows up on my bill.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote