ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Affinity Programs > Credit/Charge Cards: American Express
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

International Airline Program

Does anyone here have any experience with the IAP from AmEx? You can get a free companion ticket when you buy a full-fare Business or First Class ticket on The Platinum Card:

Quote:
• International Airline Program. A complimentary companion ticket good at 14 airlines when you travel within any one of the distinct travel time frames, First or Business Class, on international flights. 2
Fine print with interesting parts in bold
Quote:
International Airline Program: Platinum Card seat allocations may be limited on specific departures. Tickets are non-transferable and are non-endorsable, and must be purchased in the U.S. with the American Express® Card. One of the travelers must be a Platinum Card member. All travel must originate in the U.S. at a designated-carrier gateway city. Complimentary tickets have no refund value and do not accrue frequent-flyer mileage. Refund of the full-fare passenger ticket must be accompanied by the companion ticket. The complimentary ticket must have the same itinerary as the paid ticket and is subject to all government fees, taxes and charges. Non-participating carriers must be ticketed and priced separately. Not more than one participating carrier may appear on the same ticket. Complimentary tickets only apply with all-year, non-restricted fares. One complimentary companion ticket per trip. This offer is not valid with any other promotion or discount and is subject to avaiability. Certain code-share flights may not apply.
With the exception of CO and maybe AA, I doubt that AUS is a gateway city for many places. Certainly not for AF, BA, etc.

No FF miles is kind of a bummer, but probably still worth it all.

I'd be interested in hearing if the seats were tightly restricted or if there any general issues with the problem. Getting to a gateway city wouldn't be that difficult, so this looks like a good offer.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:57 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to AsianaWorld
I purchased a full-fare nonrestricted Premier Business Class Ticket on Asiana Airlines (J-Class). So far, my experience has not been very good. J class ticket was very expensive but has plenty of restrictions; no wait list for reservations, limited seats available. I'm concerned about my return reservation and any changes I might have to make. The savings was approx. $1500. Not worth the hassle for a business trip. Too bad all the individual Airline partner rules and restrictions are not posted on the AMEX website. If they were, you would think twice about the real benefits of this program. I feel like I paid business class price for economy class service.

AsianaWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
ITYT Captain

Yeah, I've since found out that it's kind of a scam -- more expensive and nearly impossible to collect on.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote