ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > Alaska Airlines (AS)
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2002, 03:05 PM   #1

Safety issue on Alaska

Everyone seems to bad mouth ValuJet for their safety (not that i blaim them) but what about alaska. When ASA 261 crashed i was a little worried about Alaska'a safety. I'm curious to see what other people have to say about this. I heared they found documents of Alaska employees urging mechanics to clear the airplane even though safety checks were not done so the airplane could make an on-time departure.

NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 03:24 PM   #2

Re: Safety issue on Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWgoldelite
Everyone seems to bad mouth ValuJet for their safety (not that i blaim them) but what about alaska. When ASA 261 crashed i was a little worried about Alaska'a safety. I'm curious to see what other people have to say about this. I heared they found documents of Alaska employees urging mechanics to clear the airplane even though safety checks were not done so the airplane could make an on-time departure.
I believe the preliminary investigation has determined that three different types of lubricants, at least two of them incorrect, were used on the jackscrew that malfunctioned in the Alaska Air crash. I will not fly on this airline. My employer has already banned AirTran for corporate travel. Now that you mention it, I am surprised they haven't issued at least an advisory about Alaska as well.

Anytime I am on a DC-9, I am a little uncomfortable. Fortunately, I mostly travel on Southwest, an all-Boeing 737 carrier. On our recent trip to Australia, it was all Boeing, including 777, 747, 767, and 737.

"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going."

karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:25 PM   #3

I dont know about those boeing 737's. What about all the tail problems that aircraft has had. Also, i completely agree about DC-9's. They are so old and it gets me worried sometimes. My return from FLL-MEM-SEA has a 727 from FLL-MEM. That plane is so outdated and old as well. It gets me a little concerned. But i guess you cant be worried about everything and become paranoid.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:45 PM   #4
ITYT Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWgoldelite
I dont know about those boeing 737's.
Surely you jest.

I believe that the 737 is the most flown aircraft in the world by a significant margin and it is widely regarded as the safest aircraft in service.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:28 PM   #5

hey hey dont get me wrong. I love the 737. I feel safe when i fly on all of them. I'm just saying that it has had some trouble as far as that tail goes. I think were getting off topic with that discussion. How do you feel as far as Alaska's safety goes?