ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > Northwest Airlines (NW)
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
ITYT Cabin Crew

A Few Questions about Northwest?

I was searching Expedia.com for a nice fare for my first leisure international trip. I found a business class fare with Northwest Airlines for $1487.00 roundtrip. I have a choice of connecting in Amsterdam or Detroit, MI for this trip and I was wondering what people thought was a better place to make my connection.

Also, I have never flown with Northwest Airlines overseas before and I was wondering what type of service should I expect from their business class? I simple enjoy Delta Airline’s Business Elite and their food is absolutely wonderful as is their service. Is Northwest’s World Business Class equal to Delta’s? I had originally tried to fly with Delta; however, they were out of my price range for the flight. Delta came in around $5,090.00 dollars and that is way more than I can afford when I am not traveling on business. Since Northwest is so cheap is their service just as cheap and would I be more worthwhile to spend the money on a nicer hotel?

dalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

A sub-$2000 fare for transatlantic business class is a good deal -- congratulations on finding that one. The fare that you're receiving is an anomaly and not indicative of poor service.

WBC has plenty of seat pitch (60" I believe) and although the seats aren't lie-flat (like CO's new BF seats), they're quite comfortable as long as you don't need to lie on your front. The seats are entirely cloth as opposed to DL BE, which is leather with cloth inserts. Other than that, they're comparable.

Of course, you'll have access to the Northwest Worldclubs (or a partner club) at your origin, connection, and destination.

Personally, I would suggest making the connection at DTW instead of AMS so that you can get it out of the way before the longer transatlantic portion. Otherwise, you'll be tired and ready to end the trip as you wander through AMS to catch another flight.

Have good trip and be sure to write a trip report!

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
ITYT Cabin Crew

Thank you for your input, I have gone ahead and booked with my connections in DTW rather than AMS. I was wondering, is there empower available on a DC10-30? I would like to able to not drain my laptop battery to nothing in the first two hours of flight if that is possible.
Thank you again for you input.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #4

I dont believe that empower ports are avaliable on the DC-10. You can call northwest and confirm this at 1800-447-4747
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
ITYT Cabin Crew

According to NWA there are no EMpower ports on the DC10-30 aircraft. Unfortunantly, I am going to have to bring extra batteries with me.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #6

If your going on the DC-10 I reccomend not sitting in the last row due to the noise and light from the galley. I sat on the WBC DC-10 configuration from MSP-SEA in the last row and it wasn't fun. It's all I could get though since my upgrade cleared at the last second. The seat is very comfortable and if you want to know the truth, I prefer the WBC seat over CO's businessfirst seat. Try to get as close to the front as possible but not 1C or 1G. Since their is extra space there some people like to use that as a pathway for crossing aisle's, thus bothering the passengers sitting there.
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:29 AM   #7

Amsterdam is a very modern and comfortable airport, clean and tidy, with reclining lounge chairs . . . a great airport if you're going to be spending any time at all there.

merchanb is offline   Reply With Quote