ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > Adventure Travel Forums
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Laurene_Cao
Lightbulb Angkor Wat Travel Tips

Angkor Wat overview
Located six kilometers north of Siem Reap, Angkor Wat is a massive three-tiered pyramid crowned by five lotus-like towers rising 65 meters from ground level. The temple's balance, its composition and beauty makes the lost city of Angkor one of the finest monuments in the world. In 1992, Angkor Wat was declared as a World Heritage Site by Unesco.

When to go?
The cool dry season is said to be the best time for visits to Cambodia. But for temples exploration, the wet season (from May until Oct) is also a good time as the moats will be full and the foliage lush, though being very soggy. In addition, to maximize the effect it is suggested that the first trip to Angkor Wat be made in optimal lighting conditions, usually around one to two hours in the afternoon when the sinking sun lights up its west-facing main gate. Many tourists also come just before dawn to see the first lights bounce off the magnificent temple when the sun peeps through the horizon. Sunrise at Angkor Wat is also a great sight to witness.
Travel tips
Touring the temples is a hot and sweaty job, so wear light, airy, covering clothing to protect yourself from the sun and mosquitoes. The sun can be intense so bring a hat, sunglasses and perhaps sunscreen. Consider buying a traditional Khmer scarf (krama) to keep the sun off your neck. Carry a raincoat during the wet season, though you will probably only need it in the afternoon. You should have mosquito repellent for sunrise and sunset hours. Wear practical shoes for climbing narrow steps and walking on uneven surfaces.

Laurene_Cao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #2

I would like to say thank you because I am planning to visit Angkor in my holidays. Itís an attractive and eye-catching place in the earth. Moreover, I would like to know the best way for travelling there.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote