ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to stltkd
Enough time?

Let me start off by saying that this is a wonderful site, and is very helpful! I a first timer international (not yet flown) and have flown twice . Being new to this customs and making sure that there is enough time to get on the plane... my question is this...

I am departing cle on a puddle jumper (I think it only has like 50 seats) to Toronto (YYZ) then on to Fra. I only have an hour and a half before my plane departs for Fra. Is this enough time? What happens if I miss my plane? Do I get charged for missing it? Coming back I have like 2 hrs and not so concered. I do know that I have uncheck my bags and recheck them at YYZ. *still debating on taking just a carry-on*

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

stltkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

As long as you are a United States or Canadian national, 90 minutes should be perfect. Otherwise, it might be a bit tight, but should be fine.

As long as your travel is continuing on the same itinerary and ticket, you shouldn't have to worry about missing your connecting flight ("missconnect"). In the unlikely event that you miss it, your airline will take care of you on the next flight out.

It's always easier (and there's less to worry about) when traveling only with carry-ons, especially when you need to change planes as you go through customs.

2 hours on the return should certainly be more than enough time.

Welcome to ITYT!

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:20 AM   #3
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Re: Enough time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltkd
Is this enough time? What happens if I miss my plane? Do I get charged for missing it? Coming back I have like 2 hrs and not so concered. I do know that I have uncheck my bags and recheck them at YYZ.
I agree with dbaker, 90 minutes should be plenty of time. I've never flown through YYZ so I can't say for certain, but the bag claim and re-check process when transferring on international flights is generally not as burdensome as you might be picturing.

It's most likely you'll be funnelled into a special international arrivals baggage claim which feeds you straight through customs and right to the waiting arms of the bag re-check folks. You may find that the whole process only adds a few minutes to your processing and involves a dozen meters or less of walking with your bags.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. More importantly, don't let these little details distract you from your enjoyment of the trip. Sounds like you've got a great flight and visit to look forward to. Enjoy!
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:07 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to passthedutchie
Hello:

Toronto handles bagges quite efficiently, so I wouldn't worry too much. BUT, there's always screw ups due to delay. Always get cancellation and interruption travel insurance if you have unrestricted tickets. It's not very expensive, and it helps because it gives you peace of mind. If you get stuck in Toronto because you missed a flight, your hotel (if you have to stay overnight) and next ticket available is covered.
passthedutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:10 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to stltkd
Thanks everyone!!! I'm a brand new traveler.. more anxious than worried. I think that I just need the reassurance from seasoned travlers such as yourself.

Nugget, you are right... after searching I found the floor plans for YYZ and it does have the funnel effect to it.
stltkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:45 AM   #6

My guess is your on Air Canada or their codeshare Lufthansa. The standard for the two is only 1 hour. Originating from the U.S. or even Canada you do not need a long layover. You will clear everything at your point of departure. When you return you will clear in YYZ which is why that connection is longer.

183391 is offline   Reply With Quote