ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #1

Gee whiz, guess we haven't been paying enough for airfare!

EMail from Northwest . . .

Quote:
Revenue management has established an e-mail address that enables employees to bring suspicious itineraries to Northwest's attention.

With the increasing popularity of customers using the Internet to purchase travel, Northwest is finding that more passengers can discover low fares over non-traditional routings. This is a result of complex search engines that are focused on finding the lowest possible price.

During the Internet search process, the first travel options revealed to the customer often involve circuitous routings with multiple connect cities and/or multiple airlines used to calculate total airfare. These complex itineraries have the potential to create customer service issues with missed connections, lost baggage, etc. In addition to the negative customer service issues created, these itineraries circumvent the integrity of Northwest's fare structure and negatively impact company revenue.

Examples of the type of itineraries that should be reported include: multiple segments that involve circuitous routings at low prices when direct routings are available (Example: Outbound MCI/MSP/CMH/DTW/IND Return IND/DTW/CMH/MSP/MCI Total NW Fare $68 roundtrip); PNRs with fictitious names (e.g. A/B/C/D Smith); or itineraries booked in a class of service different than ticketed fare basis (Example: B class of service booked and the fare basis used begins with K).

Employees can send example of suspicious itineraries or feedback to revmgmt@nwa.com or OV-ID of REVMGMT. This feedback must be sent from an nwa.com e-mail or OV account. The appropriate revenue management department will promptly review all comments. Unfortunately, due to resources constraints, not every message will receive an individual response.

Employee feedback is important and will assist revenue management to make continued enhancements to maximize company revenue.
http://www.triprights.com/letter/2003/nwa.htm

Wonder what's gonna happen to me when they find out how much money I saved by flying from SFO to LAX via IAH?

merchanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

That's very interesting.

Are you serious about the SFO-IAH-LAX trips?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:14 AM   #3

Yep. I wanted to stop off in both SFO and LAX on my way NRT-EWR. SFO-LAX via IAH became a freebee on a through fare. I went NRT-IAH-SFO-IAH-LAX-IAH-EWR.

Bad boy that I am, I also saved a big bundle by having one NW ticket GUM-NRT & CDG-ATH $623.21 (you'd think they'd notice the big gap) and a CO ticket NRT-EWR-CDG $938.99. Upgrade to Internation B/F . . . why not? Compare that to the cost of a single GUM/NRT/EWR/CDG/ATH ticket!

All's fair in love and airfare. Sometimes their "inventory management" does feature a few opportunities.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:44 AM   #4

So what are they going to do, make you take a more direct routing?
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 01:09 AM   #5

Ya mean make me fly the short way for over $3,700 rather than the long way around for $1,650 and only earn 15,018 miles rather than 26,472 and give up all those meals and movies? I would personally whimper, hold my breath, turn blue and go to a different airline (there are more than one, ya know.)

Maybe they would only post names and photos on the bad boy's bulletin board so the agents would know to snear at you when you board. I could live with that.

I'm retired and every mile I fly commercial is purely optional. If it ceases to be fun, I'll just find something else to do.