ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
ITYT Captain

How much do airlines pay for movies?

Does anyone know how much airlines pay to show movies on flights? Does it depends on aircraft size, load, etc? Or do they buy a fleet-wide license for x number of days?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has noticed the post-9/11 cost cutting measure of showing old or terrible movies as opposed to almost-new releases and films between theater and DVD.

I first noticed it on a Delta transcon roundtrip when I saw "Remember the Titans" (two years old) on the outbound and some similarly-old Woody Allen film on the way back.

Maybe Continental is just really cheap or they know something about the traveling public that I don't, but . . . "Giltter"? The story of Mariah Carey's life? Oh my god.

What happened to "Traffic" and films that were actually fun to watch and helped pass the time rather than making it more miserable?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

How much do airlines pay for movies?

Does anyone know how much airlines pay to show movies on flights? Does it depends on aircraft size, load, etc? Or do they buy a fleet-wide license for x number of days?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has noticed the post-9/11 cost cutting measure of showing old or terrible movies as opposed to almost-new releases and films between theater and DVD.

I first noticed it on a Delta transcon roundtrip when I saw "Remember the Titans" (two years old) on the outbound and some similarly-old Woody Allen film on the way back.

Maybe Continental is just really cheap or they know something about the traveling public that I don't, but . . . "Giltter"? The story of Mariah Carey's life? Oh my god.

What happened to "Traffic" and films that were actually fun to watch and helped pass the time rather than making it more miserable?

Old 03-08-2002, 11:47 AM   #3

You don't bring your own movies?
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:47 AM   #4

You don't bring your own movies?
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 AM   #5
ITYT Captain

http://www.ityt.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=476

Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 AM   #6
ITYT Captain

http://www.ityt.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=476

Old 04-15-2002, 08:43 AM   #7

comforts in the air

The American consumer has resoundingly voted for low price over amenities in the air. Each of us, myself included, search and search for the lowest fare. Then, having purchased fares that could not sustain meaningful profits to an airline, we complain about the food and the entertainment.

You get what you pay for, and all of us are choosing to pay as little as possible for getting us from Point A to Point B.

I realize this situation is a little more complicated than; airline profitability (I mean the lack thereof) has a lot to do with management's obsession with market share, with overpaid pilots, and many other factors. But, clearly, as consumers we have acted through our price-sensitivity to reduce the quality of inflight food and entertainment.

I'm sorry that I've pontificated without answering dbaker's original, very interesting question. It would be nice to know. If it's a small amount, then we should have low fares AND good movies....

Maybe we could start a forum on rating movie quality by airline....
TravelinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:43 AM   #8

comforts in the air

The American consumer has resoundingly voted for low price over amenities in the air. Each of us, myself included, search and search for the lowest fare. Then, having purchased fares that could not sustain meaningful profits to an airline, we complain about the food and the entertainment.

You get what you pay for, and all of us are choosing to pay as little as possible for getting us from Point A to Point B.

I realize this situation is a little more complicated than; airline profitability (I mean the lack thereof) has a lot to do with management's obsession with market share, with overpaid pilots, and many other factors. But, clearly, as consumers we have acted through our price-sensitivity to reduce the quality of inflight food and entertainment.

I'm sorry that I've pontificated without answering dbaker's original, very interesting question. It would be nice to know. If it's a small amount, then we should have low fares AND good movies....

Maybe we could start a forum on rating movie quality by airline....
TravelinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:21 PM   #9

Were all the films old?

I don't know about cost (although I suspect airplanes are probably treated like movie theatre's as far as the industry is concerned).

As to Delta, their web site In-Flight Entertainment section lists movies showing. For May, they are showing (depending on where you are flying):

Life as a House
Gosford Park
Hart's War
A Beautiful Mind
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

among others. These seem pretty recent.

Here's a link to the complete list for May (hopefully, this link will work):

http://www.delta.com/travel/during_f...s_nm/index.jsp

One other note: if you are interested in the technology behind the in-flight entertainment systems used in planes (including new systems in development), check out this web site:

http://www.airfax.com
businesstraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:21 PM   #10

Were all the films old?

I don't know about cost (although I suspect airplanes are probably treated like movie theatre's as far as the industry is concerned).

As to Delta, their web site In-Flight Entertainment section lists movies showing. For May, they are showing (depending on where you are flying):

Life as a House
Gosford Park
Hart's War
A Beautiful Mind
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

among others. These seem pretty recent.

Here's a link to the complete list for May (hopefully, this link will work):

http://www.delta.com/travel/during_f...s_nm/index.jsp

One other note: if you are interested in the technology behind the in-flight entertainment systems used in planes (including new systems in development), check out this web site:

http://www.airfax.com

businesstraveler is offline   Reply With Quote