ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

Thoughts on KlipFolio

Anyone have any thoughts about ITYT's KlipFolio feature?

I run it in the lower, right corner of my desktop and think that it's pretty great. I think that the time display ([10m] or whatever) may confusion the application a bit about which headlines are new/updated as opposed to just changing the activity time. I'd like to fix that so that only new articles turn bold and move to the top. It seems kind of inconsistent, though.

I also plan on creating Klips for customizable content. For example, you should be able to select which forum categories or topics you're interested in receiving updates about. Once the Library and Gallery get enough activity, I'd like to support them in this, too.

Any suggestions for improvement or other thoughts?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

Thoughts on KlipFolio

Anyone have any thoughts about ITYT's KlipFolio feature?

I run it in the lower, right corner of my desktop and think that it's pretty great. I think that the time display ([10m] or whatever) may confusion the application a bit about which headlines are new/updated as opposed to just changing the activity time. I'd like to fix that so that only new articles turn bold and move to the top. It seems kind of inconsistent, though.

I also plan on creating Klips for customizable content. For example, you should be able to select which forum categories or topics you're interested in receiving updates about. Once the Library and Gallery get enough activity, I'd like to support them in this, too.

Any suggestions for improvement or other thoughts?

Old 04-14-2002, 05:35 PM   #3

I think it's a great idea, now personally flight doesn't interest me (I've only been on one in my entire life) but in general the idea of being able to get whatever content you want on your desktop is a great idea.

Also you've done a great job of taking the original idea (news) and using it with your forums, and now it seems you are taking it a step further to create custom Klips for individual users, I must say you've done a great job of making a good product even better.

You can see how my desktop looks with my Klip, here:

http://www.planetnexiz.com/post%20images/klip.jpg
PM5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:35 PM   #4

I think it's a great idea, now personally flight doesn't interest me (I've only been on one in my entire life) but in general the idea of being able to get whatever content you want on your desktop is a great idea.

Also you've done a great job of taking the original idea (news) and using it with your forums, and now it seems you are taking it a step further to create custom Klips for individual users, I must say you've done a great job of making a good product even better.

You can see how my desktop looks with my Klip, here:

http://www.planetnexiz.com/post%20images/klip.jpg
PM5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:31 AM   #5
ITYT Navigator

My initial reaction is that KlipFolio will be waaaaaay more annoying than it is useful. Blinky, movey things on my desktop are an aggravation.

Still, in the spirit of accomodation, I've got it installed and I'll give it a few days' chance.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
ITYT Navigator

My initial reaction is that KlipFolio will be waaaaaay more annoying than it is useful. Blinky, movey things on my desktop are an aggravation.

Still, in the spirit of accomodation, I've got it installed and I'll give it a few days' chance.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
In the preferences screen of Klipfolio, you can disable the automatic scrolling.
BovineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
In the preferences screen of Klipfolio, you can disable the automatic scrolling.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
ITYT Captain

The transparent display feature seems a bit buggy/inefficient. I've found that if I accidently let a SecureCRT window share some space with KlipFolio, the CPU usage jumps from not-noticable to 30-100% and really lags my PIII-750.

This is clearly an early version of the product, though, so I'm not too worried about it evolving into something very nice and completely usable.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #10
ITYT Captain

The transparent display feature seems a bit buggy/inefficient. I've found that if I accidently let a SecureCRT window share some space with KlipFolio, the CPU usage jumps from not-noticable to 30-100% and really lags my PIII-750.

This is clearly an early version of the product, though, so I'm not too worried about it evolving into something very nice and completely usable.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaker
The transparency is a feature actually done by Windows itself and its speed depends significantly on the quality and speed of your video card. Modern 3D video cards (such as recent nVidia cards) can handle transparency far more efficiently than the cheap video systems that are typically built into laptops.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
The transparency is a feature actually done by Windows itself and its speed depends significantly on the quality and speed of your video card. Modern 3D video cards (such as recent nVidia cards) can handle transparency far more efficiently than the cheap video systems that are typically built into laptops.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:57 PM   #13
ITYT Captain

I have an ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X in my Inspiron 5000e.

(The piece of junk is falling apart, please don't consider my use of the equipment a form of endorsement for Dell, the AirTran/Valucrash of computer hardware vendors)
Old 04-15-2002, 01:57 PM   #14
ITYT Captain

(The piece of junk is falling apart, please don't consider my use of the equipment a form of endorsement for Dell, the AirTran/Valucrash of computer hardware vendors)
Old 04-15-2002, 02:05 PM   #15

The ITYT recentforum.xml includes the number of minutes since the last reply in the description of each article as a convenience. However, this actually takes away much of the benefit of Klipfolio, since it shows visited vs. unvisited links based on whether you've visited the item with the same title.

Even if no new posts are made to a topic, the title changes almost every time the Klip is reloaded (every minute until an hour old, and every hour thereafter). It would probably be preferable to take out the age from the item names and instead include the number of replies (and put the count on the right-end of the item names instead of at the front).
Old 04-15-2002, 02:05 PM   #16

The ITYT recentforum.xml includes the number of minutes since the last reply in the description of each article as a convenience. However, this actually takes away much of the benefit of Klipfolio, since it shows visited vs. unvisited links based on whether you've visited the item with the same title.

Even if no new posts are made to a topic, the title changes almost every time the Klip is reloaded (every minute until an hour old, and every hour thereafter). It would probably be preferable to take out the age from the item names and instead include the number of replies (and put the count on the right-end of the item names instead of at the front).
Old 04-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #17
ITYT Captain

I've noticed that and thought of it, too. The problem is that it's too hard to remember which articles you've visited outside of the KlipFolio and thus you can't tell which articles are new.

Before I added this feature, it was oftendifficult for me to determine if a topic had been recently posted to or not.

I agree, though, that it removes much of the benefit so I'll go ahead and take it out.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #18
ITYT Captain

I've noticed that and thought of it, too. The problem is that it's too hard to remember which articles you've visited outside of the KlipFolio and thus you can't tell which articles are new.

Before I added this feature, it was oftendifficult for me to determine if a topic had been recently posted to or not.

I agree, though, that it removes much of the benefit so I'll go ahead and take it out.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:32 PM   #19
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via AIM to iambri Send a message via MSN to iambri
Quote:

I find it ironic that a laptop that can't be moved anywhere b/c the screen is falling apart has a video card named "mobility".

iambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:32 PM   #20
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via AIM to iambri Send a message via MSN to iambri
Quote:

I find it ironic that a laptop that can't be moved anywhere b/c the screen is falling apart has a video card named "mobility".
iambri is offline   Reply With Quote