ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

What's on his screen?

I refuse to travel without my Dell Inspirion 5000E. (Don't take that plug as an endorsement, Dell sucks and this is the worst piece of junk that I've ever owned. They've replaced it once and serviced it ~10 times) It's an essential for domestic flight entertainment along with staying online during layovers and at my final destination.

My priorities on flights:

However, notebook computer screens on flights are often of much interest. Everyone tries to sneak a peak (like I don't notice) at mine and it's always interesting to see what other people are up when you walk up and down the aisles. Surprisingly, about 35% of people seem to playing regular Microsoft Windows Solitare. How can that be entertaining for such a long period of time? It's crazy.

I listen to MP3s throughout my work (on my Bose Noise Reduction Headphones) and also have incredible sound playing DVDs with my headphones.

However, my seatmate often wants to watch the movie, too. They'll peer over and it's pretty clear that they find it interesting, too. Whenever possible, I'll enable subtitles (in their native language) so that they can clearly follow the movie, too.

What do you do with your computer on flights? What do you see other people do?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

What's on his screen?

I refuse to travel without my Dell Inspirion 5000E. (Don't take that plug as an endorsement, Dell sucks and this is the worst piece of junk that I've ever owned. They've replaced it once and serviced it ~10 times) It's an essential for domestic flight entertainment along with staying online during layovers and at my final destination.

My priorities on flights:

However, notebook computer screens on flights are often of much interest. Everyone tries to sneak a peak (like I don't notice) at mine and it's always interesting to see what other people are up when you walk up and down the aisles. Surprisingly, about 35% of people seem to playing regular Microsoft Windows Solitare. How can that be entertaining for such a long period of time? It's crazy.

I listen to MP3s throughout my work (on my Bose Noise Reduction Headphones) and also have incredible sound playing DVDs with my headphones.

However, my seatmate often wants to watch the movie, too. They'll peer over and it's pretty clear that they find it interesting, too. Whenever possible, I'll enable subtitles (in their native language) so that they can clearly follow the movie, too.

What do you do with your computer on flights? What do you see other people do?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
I mainly just add content to a .txt file which becomes my trip report the next time I'm near a net connection. I find that the quality and entertainment value of my trip reports suffer horribly if I wait too long before typing them up.

And always mp3s, but with the tiny laptop hard drive I've got the selection isn't what it could be -- about 25% of the total tracks from my CDs.

I took a stab at playing freeciv on my most recent flight, but I didn't find it much fun. I didn't find myself able to concentrate well on an involved game like that. I can see how a game closer to solitaire's commitment level would be more appealing.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
I mainly just add content to a .txt file which becomes my trip report the next time I'm near a net connection. I find that the quality and entertainment value of my trip reports suffer horribly if I wait too long before typing them up.

And always mp3s, but with the tiny laptop hard drive I've got the selection isn't what it could be -- about 25% of the total tracks from my CDs.

I took a stab at playing freeciv on my most recent flight, but I didn't find it much fun. I didn't find myself able to concentrate well on an involved game like that. I can see how a game closer to solitaire's commitment level would be more appealing.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote