ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Travel
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

Worst commercial airport

What's the worst commercial airport that you've flown in/out of?

I nominate EFD. Ellington Field in Houston, TX is serviced by Continental Express prop planes to/from IAH, also in Houston. It has one gate, one check-in agent, one e>service machine, and one coffee maker.

Benefit: Free parking and easy access to those that live way-the-hell-out of Houston.

Picture of me at the terminal entrance / check-in area/ gate area / security line / gate entrance
(notice the "Generation Jet" continental ad on display behind me, even though there is no commercial jet service at EFD)

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
ITYT Navigator

PID

I also would say EFD is bad, but I’ve been to worse.

PID, Paradise Island, Paradise, Bahamas, is possible the worst airport I've been to. The airport consists of a two Mobile Trailers on blocks, one for ticket sales and the main office, and the other for waiting for the plane to arrive. Of course this airport is serviced by only one airline, Chauk, which offers service between Miami Ft. Lauderdale, Bimini, Walker's Cay, and of course Paradise Island / Nassau. Chaulk really isn't that bad of a ride, if you can deal with prop-sea planes.

Of course if your flying into these places, you really don't care what the terminal looks like, because you don't have to wait around in them, but going out is a different story. Chaulk is such a nice and friendly airline, that if you running a little behind, they will hold the plane for you, making the other passengers, if there are any, wait. But waiting in PID is horrible; it’s a mobile trailer, with no AC, how fun.

tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:06 AM   #3

Chichen Itza

This does not count because it's not a commercial airport, but many years ago I went on vacation to Cancun, Mexico. I took a tour of the ruins of Chichen Itza. We took a charter (a very old DC3) from Cancun to Chichen Itza "airport". A dirt runway and a shack. In addition to the one employee, there was a Federale (Mexican Federal Police Officer), who we were told later is there to watch for drug traffic planes heading for the US.

Oh, did I mention we had to circle once before landing because their were animals on the runway (true story).

Chichen Itza
businesstraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:08 PM   #4

BOS

Blow the place up and rebuild it.
CameraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
ITYT Cabin Crew

I agree that BOS is terrible. I won't ever fly there again.

MCO - Strollers whacking into your shins at every turn.
tallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 12:34 AM   #6

As I mentioned in my last trip report, IAD sucks. It's so depressing of an airport, especially after coming from Concourse C at ORD.

phule is offline   Reply With Quote