ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 AM   #21
ITYT Captain

Re: Made Up Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze
Quote:
"We are very pleased with AirTran's overall near-perfect company-wide maintenance technician participation for AMT training. This means that 211 out of AirTran's 216 maintenance technicians were recognized by the FAA for their dedication and commitment to training, thus ensuring that FAA safety codes and regulations are strictly observed," said David Sexton, Instructor Technical Training.
Gee dbaker, looks like b717mech's statistics aren't so "made up" and "ridiculous" after all. In fact, 211 out of 216 technicians were praised by the FAA itself for "dedication and commitment." If my math is correct, that's 97.7% of their mechanics. Now now b717mech, apparently AirTran's mechanics are even better than you suspected
Do you even understand what you're reading? You're quoting an unreferenced source that claims they went to a training session. I'm not quite sure what you think the quote is suggesting.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #22
ITYT Captain

Re: Three Birds with One Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze
Nugget:
ValuJet was definately a different story. I think you're a little confused, but that's exactly what dbaker is hoping for...

dbaker:
We'll have any "discussin" we please, this is an open forum. Or isn't it? If not, I want to hear you say it's not so everyone here knows where you stand. I guess you control what topics we do or don't discuss. I'm sorry, I had no idea I we were messing with the thought police. By the way, B717mech didn't bring up the maintenance discussion again, ithisk did. And while we're on the maintenance tangent, I'll restate that I'd definately believe these two guys who actually work on the airplanes over two or three "frequent fliers" who think they know everything. It really cracks me up that a couple of you think you know more about the inner-workings of an airline than two mechanics who actually keep those planes airborne day in and day out. Speaking of ridiculous, the ITYT AirTran site is the real joke. I can't speak for "everyone" as you apparently can, but personally the only thing I'm bored with is your condescention
What do you think makes you qualified to discuss the business and mechanical operations of the airline? I'm just curious, since you seem so quick to discredit me -- although you really don't know anything about me.

P.S. you should definately(sic) learn how to spell before you slam a single typo.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 AM   #23

dbaker

You posed a very interesting question to Haze. You asked what makes him qualified to discuss the business and mechanical ends of the airline. I ask the same question of you. What makes you qualified to discuss this?? By reading your profile you don't even work for an airline and I'm quite sure you are not an A&P. I have read about you reading your POH so that tells me you fly small GA aircraft not large transport category aircraft. So once again, What makes you so qualified to discuss this topic?
B717mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #24
ITYT Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by B717mech
dbaker

You posed a very interesting question to Haze. You asked what makes him qualified to discuss the business and mechanical ends of the airline. I ask the same question of you. What makes you qualified to discuss this?? By reading your profile you don't even work for an airline and I'm quite sure you are not an A&P. I have read about you reading your POH so that tells me you fly small GA aircraft not large transport category aircraft. So once again, What makes you so qualified to discuss this topic?
Honestly, I'm concerned about your ability to make rational, logical decisions and conclusions while maintaining aircraft given your tendency to jump to conclusions and make random assumptions on these boards.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #25

I believe you are the one making random assumptions. Please enlighten me on "my assumptions". So I will ask again. What are your qualifications be to involved with these discussions?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #26

Eggzackly

I thought the very same thing, b717mech. A technology consultant and frequent flier from Texas has the nerve to axe me how I'm qualified to discuss these matters. Quite amusing isn't it? Oh well, I guess you know everything if you're the founder of the site

I'm qualified in the very same way you are, dbaker: research. Reading, listening, watching, digging, paying attention. Magazines, newspapers, newscasts, internet searches, press releases, FAA and NTSB reports, the Delta and US Airways pilots I know, etc. But here's where I go beyond you with AirTran: I actually FLY them regularly, I'm actually a shareholder since 1997, I actually cast proxy votes for AAI, I've actually attended an annual meeting in Atlanta, I live 45 minutes from their hub where if they so much as hiccup it's all over the news, and so on. As far as maintenance goes, I've said many times that the two mechanics who post here that actually keep the planes in the air day in and day out are much more of an authority on the inner workings of AirTran's safety than a frequent flier from Tejas. You told b717mech that "we do not need to have the maintenance discussin again" because he's someone who actually knows about AirTran's maintenance and you don't, and that wouldn't serve the purposes of your propaganda. The main purpose of your ITYT AirTran Site is to spew erroneous propoganda about AirTran's safety, yet you tell an AirTran mechanic that he cannot discuss maintenance. Absolutely laughable. AirTran maintenance? I'll believe the two AirTran mechanics, and all those Diamond Maintenance Awards the FAA has bestowed upon AirTran

Learn how to spell before I slam a single typo? Are you sure you even want to go there dbaker? That's the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? You have, on several occasions, ragged someone's spelling yet you misspell words all the time in your posts. We all do, it's no biggie. That's why I was being so facetious about the whole "discussin" thing. The same goes for that condescending "reading comprehension" thing you're apparently so hung up on. You toss that accusation around as if your the only one who understands anything, yet I've seen you fail to grasp the gist of several posts.

The smartest man is he who understands he knows nothing
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Do you even understand what you're reading? You're quoting an unreferenced source that claims they went to a training session. I'm not quite sure what you think the quote is suggesting.
I know exactly what I'm reading, it's an excerpt from a Business Wire internet news release. I remember when this news of AirTran mechanics receiving the Diamond Award for safety from the FAA originally came out, but I could no longer find it on the internet. Fortunately, it was archived on the AirTran site. The entire report the excerpt was taken from is listed as another topic on this site. What is the quote suggesting? It's not suggesting anything, it's stating the fact that the FAA has awarded AirTran the coveted Diamond Award for safety, training, and maintenance. Three times, mind you. Funny, you claim that AirTran is the unsafest airline while the FAA is busy awarding them awards for safety. And that's my point
Old 09-11-2003, 07:36 AM   #28

well now

ithisk said:
Quote:
There seems to be a significant amount of evidence suggesting that this is the case and the only claims to the contrary are the baseless claims of a few anonymous individuals posting to this forum.
Man I cant take 2 days off without you guys starting up....Now I feel left out. I sure wish ithisk would reply to b717's request on this little statement, I am quite tired of people who know nothing about AirTran or the way we operate just running around bashing and making up things. So I challenge all of you once again to PROVE IT. Baker said:
Quote:
We do not need to have the maintenance discussin again, it is a dead and beaten horse that is fully documented on the ITYT Airtran site. Everyone is bored with the conversation.
How about telling your comrads to shut thier traps about the maintenance program or how about airtran all together, then maybe we wont have to come in here and set your lies straight anymore.
Baker says again:
Quote:
P.S. you should definately(sic) learn how to spell before you slam a single typo.
we all make typing errors here, some of us are busy and at work or tired at home, I already told you baker its your site, if you want correct spelling then put spell check on it......or are you to cheap? get over it and quit digging for things to get everyone fired up since we have shut you up on the airline itself.
Baker runs his mouth yet again:
Quote:
What do you think makes you qualified to discuss the business and mechanical operations of the airline? I'm just curious, since you seem so quick to discredit me -- although you really don't know anything about me.
Haze sounds like he knows more about the aviation field than you, as far as "qualified"
you have not 1 but 2 FAA certified A&P technicians who would be more than happy to answer any of your questions, just ask dont guess. Man I could go on forever here, you guys did alot while I was out, Oh by the way on 1 of those days I was in a 10hr class given by that exact instructor Dave Sexton of "AirTran Airways Training Dept". The classes are going on for 2 weeks and is a requirement for all technicians, about re-current training, maintenance computers, and winter operations (ie. de-icing)....since winter is getting here. Baker, thisk, nugget, and all the other idiots, I know you didnt think we just dont get any training on anything and then say oh hey its snowing out what do we do now?????? lol cant wait to here from you....really
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:13 AM   #29

dbaker said to haze:
Quote:
So why won't you answer this question? I am sure all of us are interested in what makes you think you are qualified to join in on these post about airline operation and maintenance. You know mine and jetmech717 qualifications. So please tell us yours.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #30

Gratzi!

Thanks jetmech717 and b717mech, and I'd like to especially commend both of you for doing such a great job on the brand new 717 aircraft that fly myself, my wife, and my 4-year-old son so safely on a regular basis! Our next flight is from Atlanta to Memphis in October, so pay extra close attention toward the middle of the month! Kidding, I know the FAA wouldn't bestow the Diamond Award to AirTran three times if you weren't on the ball ALL of the time

I've definately been busy on here for one reason: to change the entire complexion of the AirTran portion of the website. In the past, we've just been "reactionary" to the baseless propaganda that dbaker spews by simply responding to his lies. I decided to take a "proactive" approach and change the entire perception a reader gets when they visit this portion of the site. My mission is to proactively convert the AirTran section from fiction into reality by posting the real stories about AirTran, not just selective negative slants like dbaker does. And as you can now see, whenever you enter the AirTran discussion it has a completely different feel than when we were just "reacting" to dbaker's crap. I'm confident now that any new visitor to the site will come away with a more "fair and balanced" (to borrow a phrase) view of AirTran than the skewed perspective that dbaker had concocted. In turn, they'll be much better prepared to come to their own educated conclusions about AirTran. That is unless dbaker, the founder of this site, decides to impede my proactivity in some way which would completely discredit this website.

One last observation: he won't answer the very same question he posed to me about knowledgeability because he's no more knowledgable than many any of us here. Which would be perfectly fine if he weren't so condescending in his performance as a know-it-all
Old 09-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #31

I could not have said it better myself. Thanks for the support haze.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #32

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...14airtran.html
You guys have to check out this article in Sundays business section in the AJC (Atlanta Journal and Constitution) on AirTran. Here are some highlights....

[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 9/14/03 ]

Quote:
Sky's the limit for AirTran
Airline keeps on growing at the expense of its rivals
By RUSSELL GRANTHAM and KIRSTEN TAGAMI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Joe Leonard used to complain about hardball tactics by AirTran Airways' rivals. Back in 1999, when his carrier was struggling, the AirTran CEO griped that Atlanta foe Delta Air Lines should "quit investing in trying to kill us."
These days Leonard dares Delta and other big airlines to bring it on.
"We can put our business model where we want it, and there's not much our competitors can do about it," Leonard, AirTran's chairman and chief executive, told about 100 cheering employees at Hartsfield International Airport in July.
Quote:
Discount carriers have seen "a major boom period," acknowledges Delta CEO Leo Mullin. He calls AirTran "a very serious competitor" but also vows Delta will fight back through Song and other internal changes.
Quote:
Unlike some smaller discount carriers, AirTran relies on few service gimmicks to woo fliers or build an image. Whereas JetBlue touts leather seats with individual TVs, AirTran's jets offer a simple combination of business class and low-frills coach
There's plenty more. You have to read it yourself. One of the best article's on AirTran I've read yet. Only mentioned briefly the connection to ValuJet and the crash, at least someones knows when to move on and let the past die, and realize that there really is a change. You and your friends could learn from this Baker.
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:39 AM   #33

Article

I posted the main portion of the article as a new thread on the main AirTran forum here. Check it out there, or read the entire article at ajc.com in the business section. Tells the whole story, moles and all. Like how well AirTran has been doing handling luggage, but not exactly tearing it up with on time performance. Delta and ASA have the same problem though, a by-product of having their main hubs in Atlanta and the severe weather often associated with Hartsfield International. Personally I'd rather arrive 15 minutes later with the right luggage and without all the turbulence, and I think AirTran grasps that concept. Overall, a great article
Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #34

Send a message via AIM to mduell
I just noticed this topic in the most active list. AAI is back down in the low 12s, and insiders have sold another $1m (net).
mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #35

?????

...most active topic? How odd, there hasn't been a post in this thread for over seven months

AAI back in the mid 12s is still sitting comfortably in the middle of it's 52-week range of upper 6s to low 20s. And at a P/E of under 10. And with "strong buy" recommendations from all major investment houses. And with 1st quarter earnings which doubled analysts estimates

AAI in the mid 12s is still higher than American, America West, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Northwest, United, and US Airways and is right in line with Southwest. Only JetBlue and Alaska are higher, but those two are trading with P/E ratios in the 30-40 range which is very rich

You're probably already well aware that the entire airline sector has been down since OPEC cut production and sent prices soaring. But AAI still sits in the same positive position in comparison to other airlines as it did when the entire sector was up. No shuffling within, just an overall shift in the sector. Since AAI had already hedged most of it's fuel agreements and since the b717 is such an efficient aircraft, the energy "blow" was much milder for AirTran...
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #36

Onward and Upward

...and the fundamentals just keep on improving
Quote:
AirTran Airways Reports Record April Traffic
Source: Comtex News Network (Business Wire)

AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI), today reported its revenue passenger miles (RPMs), available seat miles (ASMs), and load factor all represent records for the month of April. The total number of enplaned passengers represents an all-time company record.

AirTran Airways' traffic, measured by revenue passenger miles (RPMs), grew by 24.5 percent, to nearly 736 million RPMs, on an increase of 18.7 percent in capacity, based on available seat miles (ASMs). April's load factor, also a record high for the month of April, reached 76.6 percent, compared to 73.0 percent in April 2003. The airline enplaned 1,154,249 passengers in the month of April, a 19.7 percent increase over April 2003, and a record for the month of April, as well as a company record.
...and the passengers just keep on coming (in record numbers)