ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2003, 04:10 PM   #21

dbaker wrote:
Quote:
Many people aren't even aware that ValuJet is AirTran and wouldn't fly AirTran if they knew -- it's just deceit on the part of AirTran management. Frankly, I find the behavior to be unethical and just despicable.
My response to that is..........

Quote:
May 30, 2003, 16:38
2003 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
``It would have been disastrous if we had tried to cover up the connection and then had it leak out that AirTran was flying ValuJet planes,'' Krivkovich said. ``So we were completely up-front about everything, knowing it was the only way to clear the table and get the story behind us.''
This summer, AirTran will retire the last of the old ValuJet planes as the transition to a fleet of Boeing 717s is completed.

AirTran is one of a handful of U.S. airlines that have turned a profit since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. As bigger airlines have retrenched, AirTran has added seven cities to its route system since 2001. The airline's annual revenue has increased steadily every year, from $439 million in 1998 to $733 million in 2002.

``This is a fiercely competitive company that is firing on all cylinders,'' said Stuart Klaskin, airline analyst with Klaskin Kushner in Coral Gables, Fla.

jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:43 PM   #22
ITYT Captain

Funny, coming from a guy who just said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech717
Just to let everyone know... AirTran is not ValuJet. It is a totally new Airline with new management and new people
I guess that it's the usual corporate attitude of only trying to deceive people if you can get away with it. At least Airtran was honest to the SEC about the name change.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #23

Your slick

Hey dbaker,
I like how you take people's words and replay them out of context. I mean you just cut out enough of the sentence to make someone look like they're lying or that they dont know what they're talking about. (Are you in politics?) Now I know you read my entire reply (from my statement in the "AirTran safety" topic) and I do go on to talk about the AirTran/ValuJet connection, and I'm sure you could see that my intent was to prove that it is a different airline (in mindset, and corporate, but most of all in MAINTENANCE). In reply to your last comment, I know you dont believe that we as mechanics have any kind of corporate attitude. P.S. - If you need some more ammo I also replied to the "AirTran does it again - multiple electronical malfunction" topic. Talk to you later
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #24

[quote="dbaker"][

Although Airtran could conceivably apply for permission to carry hazmat, employees would be required to undergo training in handling hazmat properly. At this point, employees have not had such training and the airline has no permission to carry hazmat.

Actually Baker you are wrong on this point. I have worked the ramp for Continental (contracted) and received the hazmat training for Continental (who is authorized to cary hazmat, and by the way before you jump on the contracted part, were required to receive the same training as if we were actual Continental employees) and now that I work for Airtran have received Airtran's hazmat training (and am certified to teach hazmat.) The training is basically identical. In fact the only real difference is Airtran's hazmat training includes the statement that we generally do not accept hazmat as a polocy, except for certain exceptions (electric wheel chairs, dry ice, ect)

FLAir is offline   Reply With Quote