ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Would you fly AirTran?
Yes 8 61.54%
No 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #1

AirTran Flight Question

AirTran Airways 867 made an emergency landing in ATL on a B737-200 after a "loss of the A hydraulic system during climb out." The crew made an emergency landing and veered of the runway. 13 passengers were admitted to the local hospital, later released.

1) How come no one has metioned this?
2) Why was AirTran flying an Irish registered aircraft?
3) Is this a failure on AirTran's part, or an "act of God"?

andrewonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #2

Why is an accident that happend 5 years ago, on a plane that AirTran doesn't even operate anymore, have any importance?

NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
ITYT Captain

You're absolutely right, nwgoldelite. In the history of human civilization, it's not like history has ever repeated itself. Life is just a series of random events!
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:07 AM   #4

whats your point?

hey Andrew I guess were the only ones flying airplanes!
Quote:
On May 24, 2003, approximately 2136:37 central daylight time, a Boeing 737-300 transport airplane, N343SW, operating as Southwest Flight 2066, sustained substantial damage upon impact with the runway lights following a loss of control during the landing on runway 04 at the Amarillo International Airport (AMA), Amarillo, Texas.
Planes will malfuntion no matter what color the paint is on the side! There are many, ,many incidents with planes running off of the runways so lets talk about them all next time and not just single out any (1) airline. Keep up the good work though..
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:12 AM   #5

dbaker- Alot can happen in 5 years. I could understand if they still operated this type, or even this airplane, that there would be a call for concern. But on an airplane type that isn't even operated anymore, I don't see why it's important.
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #6

Irrelevance

...it doesn't matter any more, it's totally irrelevant. That airplane has been retired and replaced with a brand new one Although some here would say there is no difference in a 25-year old aircraft of 1960's era design and one that's only 2 years old designed in the 1990s
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #7

bias

hey guys i have an idea....i'm going to make a poll question and have all my friends from the web site vote on it...........Believe me I've discussed this issue with all the same guys on this site...Do you think the results will be tainted????????????????
Old 08-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
ITYT Captain

I don't know, but do you think you could use any more question marks? Believe me, excess punctuation does not make up for your lack of correct spelling.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #9

Baker wrote:
Quote:
Presumably this is the same book that teachers AirTran maintenance supervisors to encourage mechanics to sign off.....
So now were on grammer and spelling? I'll try to slow down on my replies and get it right next time teacher, but check yourself first. Here's a thought maybe you could upgrade your little web site with spell check. LOL !!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:38 AM   #10

So What

...it really doesn't matter if the propagandists here will fly them or not, AirTran continues to have record traffic and industry-high load factors without their help. They're only one of 3 (JetBlue and Southwest are the other two) airlines to be making money in this tough economy, not to mention the added strain that 9/11 has put on the industry. After adding the longer-range 737-700(800)s in the next few years, the new routes along the west coast/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean will only multiply that effect...
Old 08-20-2003, 05:53 AM   #11

next

Press Release Source: AirTran Airways
Quote:

AirTran Airways Continues Westward Expansion
Tuesday August 19, 2:00 pm ET
San Francisco Will Be Low-Fare Carrier's Second Coast-to-Coast Destination

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 19, 2003--AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI - News), today announced that the low-fare airline will add new service between Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport and San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with a daily nonstop flight starting November 12, 2003. The airline will expand its reach to the West Coast on March 4, 2004, by adding a second nonstop flight between the two cities, which will operate every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Well what do we think of our little poll now? It appears that despite all your efforts, AirTran continues to gain popularity with people who want to just get from point A to B with no circus act in between. We only promise a safe & affortable trip. It worked with SouthWest why shouldnt it with us?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #12

Re: next

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech717
Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

Well what do we think of our little poll now? It appears that despite all your efforts, AirTran continues to gain popularity with people who want to just get from point A to B with no circus act in between. We only promise a safe & affortable trip. It worked with SouthWest why shouldnt it with us?
Well I admire your enthusiasm and wish others at Airtran felt the same way. I used to fly them but will not any longer. Their total disregard towards customers has really turned me off towards them. My wife had to fly from Orlando to Philadelphia for a funeral. Having flown Airtran several times before, I decided to use them for her trip. To make a long story short, her direct flight to Philly took off and had to return when an access door blew off the plane. Then they cancelled her flight after two hours, and put her (and several others) on a plane to Atlanta with a connecting flight to Philly. Her plane landed in Atlanta at 3PM, and the connecting flight was scheduled to depart at 3:15. Due to delays on the ground, the plane didn't get to the gate until 3:18, and Airtran did not hold the connecting flight. The two planes passed each other on the ground. She ended up getting into Philadelphia about 1:35AM when she should have arrived at 10:30AM the previous day.

I wrote to Airtran customer service, and after one month, they didn't have the courtesy to reply. I then wrote to Joe Leonard CEO of Airtran, and after another month, still no reply.

I can understand that technical problems occur. I fly very often for my job and have experienced that several times. However, I see no excuse for not holding a connecting flight when the incoming flight is on the ground well before the departure time of the connecting flight. I have had connecting flights on other airlines that were held for much longer than the 3 minutes AirTran would not accomodate. I also don't understand why AirTran doesn't feel it is important to answer a customer's letter. That flight wasn't a cheap one either, due to the short notice of the funeral. The round trip fare was $425.

I know you work for them, but look at it from a customer's perspective. Is there someplace I should be writing that I haven't already? I assumed customer service was a reasonable choice. So far, Airtran not only provided a circus act between points A and B (as well as the unexpected point C) they have continued their act for the past 2 months.
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #13

Re: next

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamuel
I know you work for them, but look at it from a customer's perspective. Is there someplace I should be writing that I haven't already? I assumed customer service was a reasonable choice. So far, Airtran not only provided a circus act between points A and B (as well as the unexpected point C) they have continued their act for the past 2 months.
I needed to add to this because I finally got to the right person at AirTran. He was prompt in his response, truly apologetic, and refunded my airfare, which I did not expect. He tried to assure me that AirTran Customer Service is better than I experienced, and he would be looking into what happened.

Hopefully what I experienced was an isolated incident. I'd be willing to try them again after hearing from this person.
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #14

djsamuel,

I am glad you finally got an answer to your concerns. I do think that your case was an exception not the norm. Please let me know if your next experience is any better. I am not making excuses but every company has bad apples and in time they are usally weeded out.
B717mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #15

Definately not the Norm

...I've been flying AirTran since 1997 and never had any lost luggage, delays, in-flight complications, or customer service problems. A few normal weather delays, which is to be expected. Always a prompt response to my e-mails, always a friendly, knowledgable, and courteous voice on the other end of the phone. You should definately fly AirTran again, yours definately sounds like an isolated incident
Old 09-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #16

djsamuel,
I am sorry to hear about your wife's horrible experience, but I am happy to hear that the customer service dept did their job. I truly appreciate your letter of correction, thanks for showing that we did help and not letting everyone think that we did nothing. Please understand this....AirTran like everyother airline flies alot of people everyday, and something is bound to go bad sooner or later, wether it be delays or missed flights, It is very hard to please everyone at the same time because so many people want different things, I can bet you that the had the flight waited on your wifes plane to come in then the people on that plane would have complained about leaving late also and missing their connections or events, and the circle just keeps going. Anyways thanks for trying again and like b717 said, let us know how it goes next time.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #17

B717mech

Have to be careful when recommending anything to someone. I have flown Airtran over 100 times in the last few years. I have never had a delayed or canceled flight. I had never experienced a rude customer relations person on the phone or in person. I thought I had found the perfect airline.

In early August I convinced a close friend who is a devout flying coward, to fly Airtran from Orlando to Philly. Plane took off without incident but shortly into the flight she reported a loud squeeling sound which lasted for some time and then ended. As the flight went on, she described the sensation as drifting left and right at what seemed to be a low altitude. When they arrived in Philly, they circled for some time before landing and were advised they had experienced a hydraulic failure and would be met with emergency vehicles on the ground.

When they landed, they took a long distance to stop and when they finally did, they sat way off near the cargo area for over an hour before being towed to the terminal.

I think we can all accept the fact that there is no such thing as 100% reliability but why did it take so long to get the already late flight to the terminal?

I am somewhat technical and can assume a lot about what happened here, but is there a place incidents like this are explained or can you shed a little light on why a backup didn't come into play?

On the bright side, Airtran sent a letter apologizing for the incident with a comp flight ticket in it. She also flew Airtran again last weekend without incident except for Huricane bumps in the air.
Fishn456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #18

hey fishn456,
Man youve flown us over 100 times without any problems?? You have a good ratio going there. Things are going to happen and eventually the plane has parts "fail" in the air and not on the ground. I can assure you your friend was very safe, you see Boeing and the FAA know that parts will break and thats why there are so many redundant systems on aircraft. So if (1) of the (2) hyd systems fail than the plane can still fly safely and land. I can only suspect the reason it took so long to move the aircraft after it landed. 1st... the FAA was probably there to see why all the hyd fluid dumped out of whichever system and caused the failure. Even though the "fix" probably took 30min or less (which was done at the gate not the runway) The FAA has to investigate ALL emergency landings. 2nd.. I think we only have (1) company mechanic in PHL so he has to go to our contract maint, (which is usually another airline we have a deal with) and get them to help move the plane and all the things that go with it. Other airlines ussually dont "hussle" as quick for another carrier as they do for their own. Understandable I guess...If I had a problem with my own airlines plane I would probably fix it first and keep my customers happy, then I'd go help the other guy. Hope that helps out alittle. Ask any questions if they should arise. And thanks for flying us and tell your friend thanks for the second chance.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 PM   #19

Airtran 717 Guys & Gals

To me you are invisable and that is a good thing. Tell the folks you work with that I see a good company and good people. Honest--It just works--You're all doing a part and it shows.

Fishn456 is offline   Reply With Quote