ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #1

Lets Try This!!

Since Most of these post seem to be against AirTran Airways, does anyone out there have anything good to say about our Airline?

B717mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #2

"more bang for your buck!"

BovineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
ITYT Captain

I liked the critter logo on the side of the planes. Is "critter" still the radio call sign for AirTran aircraft?

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #4

nice pic

Nice pic Mr. Baker...That was caused by an engine failure that did not stay contained when some blades let loose. When an engine is designed it has to go through a series of test and one of the test is that if it has a failure that it must be able to stay contained inside the engine casing. While test show that most failures do stay contained of coarse there is always a % of chance. In that particular failure the engine parts went through the fuselage and severed the main fuel line...Instant fire. Luckily no one was killed in that ValuJet fire, but there was a Delta flight not so lucky....
Quote:
On July 6, 1996, Delta Airlines flight 1288, an MD-88, N927DA, experienced an uncontained failure of the left engine during the beginning of the takeoff roll. (break) Uncontained engine debris from the front compressor front hub (fan hub) of the #1 (left) engine penetrated the left aft fuselage. Two passengers were killed and two others were seriously injured. The takeoff was rejected, and the airplane was stopped on the runway.
By the way the part that failed on the ValuJet engine was overhauled by an FAA approved vendor, just like all parts and facilities must be, And for your info AirTrans call sign was never "critter" that was ValuJet. AirTrans call siqn is "citris" since our headquarters is in Orlando.
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 AM   #5
ITYT Captain

Yeah, so an AirTran flight attendant is paralyzed, as long as it doesn't go down on the books that someone is killed, there's no problem. Right?

Anyway, it's a real wonder why that engine would have an uncontained failure after parts were bought from a Turkish airline that they had used after a major US airiline retired them.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:37 AM   #6

uh, no....

Yeah, so an AirTran flight attendant is paralyzed, as long as it doesn't go down on the books that someone is killed, there's no problem. Right?

Uh, no. I know Rachel, the injured F/A from the incident above, and I assure you, she is not paralyzed.

I just stumbled across this little website of misinformation, and look forward to discounting you often in the future...

Travis
travatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #7

Welcome travatl we look forward to your support of AirTran.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:55 AM   #8

Mr baker.

I have looked through most of these post and was wondering why you use the same picture of a/c 908 on all of your incidents involing ValuJet? For you information that engine failure was a result of substandard work from turkish airways in there overhaul procedures. Right after the investigation the FAA revoked their repair staion certificate. ValuJet had no idea about the 7th stage disk that had corrosion plated over. Which is what caused the disk to come apart. This came out in the investigation with the FAA which I was involved with.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:58 AM   #9

get your facts straight.

Mr. Baker,
If we are going to discuss about incidents then please state fact not opinion.
Quote:
Analysis of fatigue striation measurements indicated that the fatigue crack had originated before the disc was last overhauled at a repair station (Turk Hava Yollari) in 1991, but was not detected. Also, investigation of the repair station revealed evidence concerning a lack of adequate recordkeeping and a failure to use 'process sheets' to document the step-by-step overhaul/inspection procedures. (See NTSB/AAR-96/03 for additional information)
The part that failed was "overhauled" by an approved and monitored FAA authorized repair station (whether it was Turkish or not). It is a very common practice in aviation to send parts out for repair. If an airline recieves a part from an "authorized" vendor then they can only believe that the vendor is doing their job per the FAA requirements. As for the Flight Attendent, as stated above she is not paralized but she did recieve injuries from the accident and was very lucky. As I have stated before this is the risk we take with flying, unfortunatly it is not perfected yet.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #10

My favorite is this image that he has on the "AirTran Airways, the Truth About Safety" link. Which identifies this picture as aircraft 904, which "crashed with part of the fuselage missing".

Uh, NO. That would still be aircraft N908VJ. AKA flt 597, with the engine failure, resulting in fire, from June 1995 (that's right EIGHT years ago).

Incidentally, the following summer a Delta MD88 landing at LGA, (around the same time as the Delta MD88 engine incident at Pensacola resulting in two deaths) came in too low, sheared off the gear and slid down the runway BACKWARD. Had that aircraft been 18 inches lower, it would have been the nose, not the gear that impacted the sea wall, resulting in no survivors. Cause: Pilot error.

YES, I know Delta is much larger than AirTran. However, these skewed "safety" statistics are just that. If jetBlue had a crash right now, they'd have the worst safety record in the history of commercial aviation, taking them YEARS to improve it. Midwest Express's safety record is still in the dumps because of their sole accident TWENTY years ago.

Just the facts, danno.

Travis
travatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #11
ITYT Captain

So, "the facts" are that statistics are meaningless?

I must be the safest pilot ever. I've never crashed! Not even once! But if I did crash once, I guess I could claim that you have to ignore that because I'm just one person and so I couldn't possibly fly enough to make my statistics as good as pilots that have never crashed. The Man aka "math" is always keeping me down!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:29 PM   #12

Congratulations on your record of no crashes, but i'm sure you have had some inflight problems before, at least if you fly as much as a commercial pilot does? Keep up the good flying though because in aviation...you never know!

Quote:
The danger? But danger is one of the attractions of flight.

Jean Conneau, 1911