ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

Merrill Downgrades AirTran to 'Neutral'

Merrill Downgrades AirTran to 'Neutral'

Quote:
Its stock price is too high in this weaker-than-expected revenue environment, say analyst Michael Linenberg

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:15 PM   #2

Re: Merrill Downgrades AirTran to 'Neutral'

Quote:
These two airlines and AirTran Holdings (AAI: news, chart, profile) are Donofrio's top picks. AirTran rose 12 cents to $7.72.

Citing improved liquidity, Standard & Poor's took AirTran's credit rating off its CreditWatch list and assigned the debt a "stable" outlook at "B minus."

jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #3

Good news is on the way

It only gets better from here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Sets Boarding Record: Airline Boards One Millionth Passenger in MonthMonday June 30, 11:25 am ET

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 30, 2003--AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE:AAI - News) today reported that the airline, for the first time in its nine-year history, boarded its millionth passenger in a month this morning at its hub in Atlanta.
At a ceremony this morning, Tad Hutcheson, AirTran Airways' director of marketing, recognized passenger Mike Burdine as the one-millionth passenger to board an AirTran Airways jet in the month of June. Burdine, the vice president of engineering for National Linen Service, a division of National Services Industries, Inc., received a 1:100 scale model Boeing 717 aircraft as he boarded AirTran Airways flight 739 bound for Orlando, Fla., at 8:15 a.m.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:44 PM   #4

and getting better.

good news for all......

Quote:
LITTLE GUYS GET BIGGER

"While today's announcement has been widely anticipated, it should solidify in the minds of investors that AirTran is a compelling long-term growth story," Lehman Brothers analyst Gary Chase said.

"AirTran's move will eliminate restraints it has faced on long-haul flying and should provide an opportunity for the carrier to expand its franchise and further improve its revenue," Chase said.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Reuters
AirTran ratings unaffected by aircraft order-S&P
Tuesday July 1, 2:20 pm ET

NEW YORK, July 1 - AirTran Airways Inc., the principal operating subsidiary of AirTran Holdings Inc. (both B-/Stable/-) announced a major aircraft order today. Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said its ratings and outlook on both entities are not affected.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:15 PM   #6

New 52-week High

...and AAI stock has been flirting with $13/share this week. Looks like Merrill Lynch misses the mark, again...
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:22 AM   #7
ITYT Captain

If only last week mattered in the game of long term investing, that would be really interesting information.

In other news, UBS downgraded AirTran from "Buy" to "Neutral" on 7/11/2003.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #8

Long-term Investing?

...speaking of long-term investing, many years back I got into AirTran for $5/share. Geez, that's nearly 300% return. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China, you ask? Absolutely nothing, much like this site has nothing to do with the safety of AirTran. Can't you smell the fear people? These people are so afraid that AirTran is going to drive them into bankruptcy that they've created this site for nothing more than misinformation. Reminds me of the Soviet Union in the cold war. Actually reminds me of the move "Tucker"...
Old 08-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
What on earth are you talking about? Drive me into bankruptcy? Are you under the impression that we work for a competing airline?
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 AM   #10

Everyone Knows Exactly What I'm Talking About

...if the shoe fits, wear it. If I'm not refering to you then it shouldn't matter. But I think it's pretty clear what I'm talking about, and I think most intelligent readers can see right through the agenda here. I've even had posts removed from here of factual information refuting erroneous claims
Old 08-05-2003, 11:39 AM   #11

Fishy

...but try this shoe on for size:

It is a little peculiar that you (nugget) and dbaker both list Austin as your home airport. Southwest Airlines is based in Texas. AirTran is one of Southwest's biggest competitors. Sounds like an agenda to me, even if it is just pulling for the "home team."
Old 08-05-2003, 04:43 PM   #12

haze,

When you come back to earth, let me know how la-la land was and what drugs you took to get there.
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
I think that "most intelligent readers" might notice first that you're telling a guy whose author icon is a Continental Platinum card that he's obviously a Southwest airlines shill. Can you see the obvious diconnect here or do I need to spell it out more clearly for you?

haze -- I am nothing more than a frequent traveller. I fly about 100,000 miles a year and not on Southwest, Delta, or AirTran. This goal of this site is not to bring harm to AirTran. However, AirTran's safety is a subject which is discussed with some frequency here.

Even the most casual degree of research will disprove all of the wild claims you're making in avoidance of the actual issue at hand -- AirTran's abysmal safety record in comparison to other airlines.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:13 AM   #14

yet again

Nugget said:
Quote:
Even the most casual degree of research will disprove all of the wild claims you're making in avoidance of the actual issue at hand -- AirTran's abysmal safety record in comparison to other airlines.
Were going round in circles, circles, were going round in circles, circles. All was fine with your little "I dont work for an AirTran competitor" "I just fly alot". Believe me I never thought you did, because it was always obvious that you and baker and bovineone, and the few others that are in your click only know (1) side of the industry ..............PASSENGER!!!!!
So here we go with the safety issue again. Please do some "casual" research and any incident that AIRTRAN (not valujet) has had I'll show you 5 other airlines who have had the same problems, because plan and simple airplanes do break down!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 PM   #15

Haze- I don't think that dbaker and Nugget are working for Southwest.
NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:14 PM   #16

Like I Said

...I never said either worked for Southwest or Continental, just that both list their home airport as Austin and that those two airlines just so happen to be from Texas. I even said "home team" but nothing like "local employer." Is that "spelled out" clearly enough for you?

There's not an agenda here to bash AirTran? PULEASE, that's pretty naive. Everybody knows that ValuJet WAS an unsafe airline, but also that AirTran IS a safe airline. Should AirTran shoulder the burden of Eastern Airlines' safety record too? Why not, since many of their employees and pilots came from Eastern. Why don't we just start calling them Eastern/ValuJet/AirTran while we're at it?

I for one am far more likely to lend credence to what a 717 mechanic working for an airline says than I am to believe two "frequent fliers" from Texas (home to one sinking "major" called Continental as well as Southwest Airlines, AirTran's main competitor). There is indeed an agenda going on here, and if you can't get past that most obvious of facts then I want to know "what drugs you took" to become so naive

By the way, I do not dislike Continental or Southwest by any means, they are both fine airlines. In fact, I've had regular discussions with a retired Continental MD80 dispatcher on another message board. He was singing AirTran's praises for choosing the Boeing 717 over the Airbus A320 (since he's very fond of the MD-80) and especially for hiring Joe Leonard. Imagine that, a Continental employee complimenting AirTran. On another note, the condescention is flattering, but no thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #17
ITYT Captain

Since when is Southwest the main competitor of AirTran?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #18

You Tell Me

...among discounters, in competition for the majors' passengers, but not necessarily head-to-head along the same routes. Southwest and AirTran are the two largest and most successful low-fare airlines, although JetBlue will be increasingly cutting into that pie in the coming years as will Frontier, Song, etc. So right now it's AirTran and Southwest at the top of the low-fare heap, thus I said Southwest was AirTran's main competition (although it could be argued Delta is their main competitor "head-to-head"). Although currently smaller than Southwest and AirTran, JetBlue will be growing it's fleet and markets to equal those two in the next few years. And they may compete more directly with AirTran in head-to-head markets then, at which time I would say JetBlue was AirTran's main competition among discounters...
Old 08-06-2003, 04:56 PM   #19
ITYT Captain

So your point is that Southwest is AirTran's main competitor, but just not in terms of business competition? Kind of like how a locally operated coffee shop in New York competes with the same sort of operation in Phoenix?

I'm not really sure that the two airlines are even in the same league. Southwest has 2800 flights a day, which puts it in the same league as the majors. With AirTran's 500 a day, that's more in the Frontier Airlines class.

But I can see how it would be flattering to try to compare AirTran to the nation's safest and most successful airline. Good try.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #20

Not Eggzackly

...no not like that at all really. Those coffee shops never come near one another yet AirTran and Southwest actually do fly to many of the same cities. More like an Office Depot on one side of town and an Office Max on another. One is larger, been around longer, and #1 in the biz. The other is smaller, younger, and #2 in the biz. But both are discounters, supply the same type of product, and have helped bring prices way down and revolutionize the industry. They serve customers on different sides of the river, but I'd still say they were competitors. "Crossover" will be more of an arising problem for Southwest and AirTran in future years, but I think there's plenty of room for both (even for JetBlue and Frontier) if the majors continue to flounder. Southwest indeed is one of the safest and most successful airlines, and as I've said before I like them very much. I like AirTran and Southwest and JetBlue and Frontier, as long as they all continue buying new airplanes and making safety a top priority. So we're not in disagreement about Southwest being a great airline.

Here's the stats on Frontier:

Quote:
Currently in its tenth year of operations, Denver-based Frontier Airlines is the second largest jet service carrier at Denver International Airport with a fleet of 37 aircraft and employing approximately 3,300 aviation professionals.

AirTran has only been in operation for seven years, fields nearly 80 aircraft, and employs over 5000 people. So, even though 30% younger, AirTran is nearly twice the size of Frontier. But I can see how it would be flattering for your anti-AirTran agenda to equate AirTran to Frontier, although AirTran is twice it's size. Good try