ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
ITYT Cabin Crew

Time for dbaker to face reality

DBaker:

Welcome to the new Millenium, 5 years late.

The Earth has cooled, the dinosaurs came and went, and a new airline has come into being.

It has an enviable safety record, decent on-time performance, the newest all-Boeing fleet in the world, and delivers decent service, low prices, and makes a small, but reasonable profit.

That airline is called AirTran Airways, if you haven't guessed by now.

Yet you refuse to accept the above, and insist on living in the days when Valujet plyed the skies in aging DC9 aircraft. And, as we all know, a cargo fire caused Valujet Flight 592 to crash in the Florida everglades, as was repeatedly shown ad infitum on CNN for several years thereafter.

That was, however, over 10 years ago . . . and a different company has emerged. The last Valujet airplane has been gone for several years. The management of this airline is not Valujet. The planes are not Valujet, and the vast majority of the employees were never a part of Valujet.

We now fly over 700 flights per day, or over a quarter of a million flights per year . . . safely, professionally, and at reasonable, yet profitable, prices.

Yet you insist on living in the past. . . . which leads me to ask again the question you have been asked in the past . . . . are you related to someone who was lost 9 years ago on Valujet 592?

Please answer yes or no, so that we may come to understand your seeming lack of objectivity toward this airline.

Captain Speaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #2

Good luck on trying to get him to step up to the plate, he only wants to play when it is in his favor.

717Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #3

If you think that the only thing that is determining dbakers position is the death of a realtive, sadly you are not quite so objective yourself.

No one needs to explain their family to some dickhead on the internet. Get over yourselves.
NiGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
ITYT Cabin Crew

Quote:
NiGHTS wrote:
If you think that the only thing that is determining dbakers position is the death of a realtive, sadly you are not quite so objective yourself.
I state up front that I am an AirTran Captain. You can then use that information in interpreting my posts.

DBaker has refused to address the important issue of whether he himself had lost a family member on VJ592, and denies the reader the ability to determine his objectivity, or lack thereof.

It may not be the only thing determining his position, but it has clearly affected his objectivity on the matter.

Quote:
No one needs to explain their family to some dickhead on the internet. Get over yourselves.

And you, my little friend, need to grow up.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #5

Nights, If you were right then why does'nt dbaker have a picture of the delta crash on the delta site, or all the american crashes from the 90's on the american site, etc?

What about the sinapore crash, where the crew tried to takeoff on a closed runway and hit a bulldozier. Where's that picture on the site. What about the southwest crash? high and fast on a short runway. what about us air. where's the picture of contiental? Air France? KLM? Avianca?

Nights you need to come back when you grow a brain.
717driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 AM   #6

I need to grow a brain? I did not mention anything concerning any accidents or carriers. I did say however that none of you have any business in DBakers personal life.

Why don't all of you scan in your AirTran employee cards so you can prove your identities. I don't claim to be a pilot or an employee of any airline company because I am not - I am however a casual observer of this forum. I wont claim to be anything else.

I think if you are going to demand that DBaker puts personal information up on these forums, you should do the same. :P
NiGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #7

All the airline forums on this website, with the exception of maybe three, have all had a major accident in the last twenty years. Some, within the last five. When I go to their website, I don't see pictures of their crashes. So why is it that AirTran is the only one that DBAKER is portraying as an unsafe airline? Even as late as yesterday, the head of NW Airlines' Mechanics Union was meeting with NW about statements he made to the media regarding how Northwest's cost-cutting measures are jeopardizing safety so much that he was alarmed and felt compelled to speak out. I don't see DBAKER's headline under the NW Airlines forum "I Travel, You Travel--The Truth About Safety a.k.a. NW Airlines." When someone who is running this forum can legitimately articulate why AirTran is being singled out as an unsafe airline when, as recently as three years ago, Alaska Airlines was successfully prosecuted because of their unsafe maintenance practices that caused the deaths of over 100 people in early 2000. I don't care if DBAKER thinks that AirTran is unsafe. That's fine with me. But shouldn't we use the same yardstick for all of the other airlines?
717driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 AM   #8

Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGHTS
I think if you are going to demand that DBaker puts personal information up on these forums, you should do the same. :P
Asking someone if their agenda is fueled by having relatives on VJ592 is quite different than calling for someone to post personal information from employee cards for all the world to see. I wouldn't be willing to make myself that sort of target either, especially on the internet. Ever heard of identity theft
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #9

Baker hasn't said anything here in months!! He's either burned out with us, given up on us, or realizes AirTran Airways is a descent airline. I hope its the latter. All I know is he has stopped bashing (for now) and I'm enjoying the peace and quite.
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via AIM to SDK4
Why even associate Airtran and Valujet. Airtran was created to dump the Valujet name so it could start all over.
SDK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #11
ITYT Cabin Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
Why even associate Airtran and Valujet. Airtran was created to dump the Valujet name so it could start all over.

:P OK, I'll pay this silly game:

There never was a Kraft Food Company, it was just a new name created for RJ Reynolds (the cigarette manufacturer).

And there never was Colonel Sanders, it was just invented to give Pepsi a place to sell soda.

And, there never was a Plymouth Motor Company, it was just created because "Chrysler Dodge" sounded funny without something in the middle . . .

Hey, I'm getting good at this . . . . . .
Old 04-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
ITYT Cabin Crew

I was not implying that we should forget where Airtran came from, or the horrible accident that caused the name change, but it is a different airline and should be seperated from its evil parent.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
ITYT Cabin Crew

Agreed.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
ITYT Cabin Crew

bump
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #15

Afraid to fly

I have flown twice in my life and I have recently became scared to fly. I don't know why though. I have been searching for help and this is where I ended up. I don't want to be hypnotized or take drugs because it just doesn't seem right to me. Can someone please help?
dobie_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #16
ITYT Cabin Crew

Just come up with a way to stay calm while flying. Read a book, listen to music, ie... When I get scared, I just try to not think about where I am and just relax. (Probably no help at all.)
Old 05-30-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
ITYT Cabin Crew

Maybe your just scared to fly since 9/11 happened. There's probably many people out there like that. Security has improved alot since then. You can fly sound asleep nothing is gonna happen. There was one person on here saying they had problems on a recent flight with lights flickering engines whining etc... I've flown a bunch of times i always hear the engines whining. Pilots usually apply full power on take offs then when airbore they will back the engines off. On apporach when the pilot sets the amount of flaps or uses the speed brake "i'm not a pilot" once flaps are set u'll notice the engine power being raised to maintain airspeed? maybe a airtran 717 pilot can explain more. As far as lights flickering i would not know? I find the 717 a very nice plane it's a little small for my taste i like the 767 personally but for short haul flights it's very nice. Also Boeing manufactures the 717 not airtran they just put their colors/logo. I'm also sure all the mechanics gotta be certified in some way? As technology improves there's gotta be alot of warning systems onboard also
AirlineFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #18

well thanks for the input I hope I get over the fear. I actually flew after 9-11 and wasn't scared. But thanks
dobie_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #19
ITYT Cabin Crew

I can admit i personally don't like take off's but i love landings it always feels weird to me after you climb a little then they back the power off i always think something happened to the engines. I've flown a bunch. But i always think that everytime.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #20
ITYT Cabin Crew

This will also be my first trip with AirTran and also my first time on the 717 i'm looking forward to it. I'm more a fan of a larger aircraft but i'm excited about this one for some reason i always like rear mounted engine jets for some reason like the md80's and such.