ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #1

What's more important...Safety or Staffing requirements

I am employed with Airtran Airways, Certified Instructor, Ground Security Coordinator, Complaint Resolution Officer and take those credentials seriously. I expressed my safety concerns to local and Corp. management, but I get the impression that staffing requirements are non negotiable. So I raise these concerns to you guys.
- I have worked both morning shift and night shift and there is extreme difference in the scheduling of staff. 7-8 employees for two EMOs and one quick turn. 4-5 employees for next two turns and 2-4 employees for next two turns and two overnighters one that has to be repositioned to hard stand. Usually, there are only two people on the last overnighter that comes in. It can be accomplished, but not to the convience of our passengers waiting more than 45 minutes to get luggage.

- Rules of the ramp are not being followed such as; not using a guide person for belt loader, not chalking tires, not leaving appropriate space between AC hull and loader, the jet bridge not being manned if auto level not being used, not using appropriate night/day wands because the night wands are non-functional and the lack of cleaning supplies.
Majority of these problems could be fixed with appropiate staffing.

Now I understand about budgeting, but would it not be more cost effective to either one, change the scheduling of staff to provide more even coverage or two, hire additional part time staff to cover night hours.

If this is the case, then why does it take more than two months to fix these problems.

Anyone agree, or disagree let me know...

AnyFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
ITYT Cabin Crew

I'm not sure this is the proper forum for your question, but since you asked, I will respond.

I'm glad you take your job seriously. I have worked the ramp for another carrier, and I am pretty familiar with ramp operations. Some of the things you mention sound like decisions made by individuals to short-cut the established procedures.

Perhaps it is caused by understaffing, or by a lack or enforcement, but the station manager needs to ensure that the procedures are followed and that they are adequately staffed to follow the procedures listed in the manual.

There is a safety department that handles these things, and forms to be used for this purpose. I would suggest that you make your concerns known (in writing) to the Safety Dept., that is where I would start.

Good luck, and thanks for your efforts to keep our operation a safe one.

Captain Speaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via MSN to Doko Deska Send a message via Yahoo to Doko Deska
Re: What's more important...Safety or Staffing requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyFoto
- Rules of the ramp are not being followed such as; not using a guide person for belt loader, not chalking tires, not leaving appropriate space between AC hull and loader, the jet bridge not being manned if auto level not being used, not using appropriate night/day wands because the night wands are non-functional and the lack of cleaning supplies.
Majority of these problems could be fixed with appropiate staffing.
It looks like it's "business as usual" for AirTrash. I was employed on the ramp from 2003 - 2005 and your concerns were our councerns, and we complained to everyone involved and the answer was the same then as it is now! Safety first, and hustle your lazy ass out there and get that plane in on time, no matter what it takes, as long as you're safe about it.

And until someone actually DIES on the ramp, that answer will not change! Someone has an accident,and they are immediately asked to give a drug screen, because they must be high or drunk, not overworked and understaffed. Believe it or not, two out of five times, they're right, so they use this statistic to verify their first answer.

You're barking up the wrong tree, and the people in charge are like Parental figures, who know better than you. Oh, they'll listen, but nothing will be done about it, other than saying "Thank you for your concerns, well consider it".

Until AirTrash ramp, reservation and service agents get together, organize and talk about their concerns openly, honestly and successfully, all you'll hear is "Thank you for your concerns, but we know better than you! here's your penny raise, now leave us alone and go play!"

Unfortunately, in this industry, the dead talk louder than the living!

Of course, that's my opnion, I could be wrong.
Doko Deska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #4

What's the matter dodo desk, somebody cut your pension? Can't make 50K a year to throw bags anymore with your GED.
717driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #5

why, if you are a complaint resolutions officer, are you complaining on an open forum about the company YOU are trying to resolve problems for? it seems to me you are making more problems!
reschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #6

I submitted these concerns almost a year ago on the public forum for everyone to give there input for several reasons. One, is safety on the ramp really a great concern for the airline. Two, I thought People/Customers/New hires, should be aware of what really happens on the ramp. Three, no matter what I write whether on this public forum or to Corp Officials with Airtran Airways it was never going to resolve any complaints that I or others had in regards to safety, staffing, or scheduling.

I did however write to several Top Executives... With the same response, we appreciate your dedication with Airtran Airways, and there is always little room for error with a company that is growing, but we will look further into it to see if there are changes to be made.

Within a month after there were safety coordinators that showed up for spot inspections. As you might have guessed they failed ramp for the same concerns that were brought up several months prior to the Station Manager, yet the Station Manager never changed anything nor did he even have a meeting to discuss everyones concerns.

To me it was a smack in the face... Here lets send you to training to be a instructor, so you can make sure everyone else is doing it correctly, but here's the catch you and you only will be working three different areas to assure the plane gets in OK and out on time. Thats your job..

If no one wants to believe me on this PUBLIC FORUM.. Thats fine.. no complaints, but you have to wonder why Airtran has such high turnover for employees. Its cheaper to train new ones then it is to keep one longer than a couple of years.

However I will give The Captain's and First Officers of Airtran Airways a SALUTE. They were always professional, personable, and respectable. Some would joke with you, some would even flirt, and some would even stick up for you when you were being miss treated by a supervisor..Eye witness event...

I am not saying Airtran is a bad airline...Great Planes 717's 737's...Not saying employees are bad...Saying that issues like these get lost because its hurts there pockets..

Good day
Ex Employee..
AnyFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via MSN to Doko Deska Send a message via Yahoo to Doko Deska
I ain't the only one..

See guys.. It's not just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyFoto
I submitted these concerns almost a year ago on the public forum for everyone to give there input for several reasons. One, is safety on the ramp really a great concern for the airline. Two, I thought People/Customers/New hires, should be aware of what really happens on the ramp. Three, no matter what I write whether on this public forum or to Corp Officials with Airtran Airways it was never going to resolve any complaints that I or others had in regards to safety, staffing, or scheduling.

...you have to wonder why Airtran has such high turnover for employees. Its cheaper to train new ones then it is to keep one longer than a couple of years.
This is how AirTrash works. I laughed my ass off at the news yesterday, when I found out that the new computer system caused massive delays (like there aren't any anyway at AirTrash). From what I'm hearing from a newly departed employee, nothing's changed.

Doko Deska is offline   Reply With Quote