ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > General Aviation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

Headset recommendations?

Anyone here have any headset recommendations?

I think that it's silly for me to not own one. With the cheapest ones starting in the high 100s and rentals costing me $4/hour, it's certainly cheaper to own one before too long.

I was tempted by the Bose headset since I'm an avid user of my Bose QuietComfort headphones. However, my flight instructor strongly advised against them with the explanation that Bose doesn't know pilots. We were cleared for the runway before I got the full story.

That said, I might lean towards something less expensive (sub-$300) so that I can start to collect a few cheaper models to let my pax borrow.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
ITYT Cabin Crew

Send a message via ICQ to paul
Re: Headset recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaker
Anyone here have any headset recommendations?
I have heard nothing but good things about the Bose Aviation X Headset. And, if it's as good as my QuietComfort® headset, I'm sure it would be great in the cockpit. However, it is $995 which is pretty high.

I've been very happy with my David Clark H10-13XL headset, and a friend of mine has the Denali ANR Headset and it's really nice, too.

You can get all of these at www.sportys.com. They are also on ebay, but be careful with the Bose Headsets --- many of them are the older model.

Paul

paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
ITYT Captain

What's the difference between a $300 model and a $700 model?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to mduell
I gotta recommend the Davey Clarks, as they are the best damn headsets out there. I've got the H20-10 XL's and they're a bit heavy, but the ANR is a must. Maybe the H10-13 or H10-30 for some lighter ones.

And one pair will last you a lifetime.
mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:09 AM   #5

I researched everything I could find and decided the Noisebuster Extreme ANR did what I wanted. I got one from www.avshop.com and then got another one in case the first one crumps out. Yes it's the least expensive but, for me, it does the job about the same as the much more expensive brands. I figure that, at $36.95 each, if it ever quits working I can just throw it away,
merchanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
ITYT Cabin Crew

Quote:
May I suggest: http://www.sportys.com/headsets/

I think you're probably going to be in the $500-600 range for a good ANR headset. $300 probably won't get you ANR, and $700 will most likely get you more than you need.

Next time you're in the Indianapolis area, meet me at Indianapolis Metropolitan (UMP) and we'll fly over to Sporty's at Clermont County (I69) and you can try *all* the headsets.

Paul
Old 01-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
The price.

Using an artificial ear and a B&K curve tracer/analyzer I once evaluated headphones as the chief engineer of the university's speech and hearing clinic and then later for choosing units to include as part of the equipment I manufactured. I found that there might be differences in ruggedness, but price was no indication of performance. The basic rules of physics still apply no matter how much you spend, 15db is still 15db no matter what and the average person can't notice a 3 or 4 db difference.

Unless you just want to be able to brag about how much you spent, you might also look at the Jensen Active Noise Canceling Headphones for $39.00. They have the advantage that there is no separate ANR box to cope with and the disadvantage of having the weight of the battery in the phones themselves. I didn't get to try a pair so I don't know how the performance compares. Neither they nor the Noisebuster Extreme ANR phones have passive attenuation with ear cushions so you can still hear normal conversation, etc. You can still buy ear cushions if you want to be unaware of what's happening around you.

(I never said I wasn't opinionated. )
Old 01-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #8

Headset update

Just noticed the "New! Anti-Noise Headset" #9158 from TravelSmith. Don't know anything about it except it has ear cushions and lists for $99. No mention of who manufactures it nor any performance data. Might be worthwhile looking into.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
paulf and I went up and zoomed around for an hour today in a 172SP touring what we could of Indy staying underneath the 1900' ceiling. I borrowed tomn's Dave Clark headsets and to be honest I wasn't too happy with them. I had a lot of difficulty getting a good seal around my ears and found that a considerable amount of noise would leak in when I turned my head to the side or made chewing motions with my jaw.

It's possible I was missing some critical adjustment, but I fiddled with them quite a bit and never got them satisfactorally installed on my head.

I guess this just goes to demonstrate that you really shouldn't buy headsets mail order without having first tried on the models you are considering. I'm sure I'd have picked up the Dave Clarks from sportys had I not had the chance to use tomn's first and now I'm glad I haven't bought headsets yet.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:21 AM   #10
ITYT Cabin Crew

Headsets at Sporty's

That's why it's good to go to Sportys showroom where you can try them all on first! Maybe next time the wx will be better.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #11

Nugget: What model DC's?
Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 AM   #12
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
I dunno. Maybe tomn will pipe up and tell us.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:10 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to tomn Send a message via AIM to tomn Send a message via Yahoo to tomn
Headset..

I've got the H10-XL13's. I got them at Sporty's (where else? on May 14, 2001. They were on the expensive side ($650) but IMHO worth it.

Since then, they've added auto poweroff and a smaller battery pack. I prefer the old one as it would allow you to use 6 AA batteries insted of one 9V, so they should last longer. (And I just shove the battery box in the pocket on the side of the door anyway.)

As far as fit, they fit me great. My ear seems a little larger than the inside of the foam, but it's not a problem. It still seals up and keeps the noise out. The only issue with them (and it's to be expected.. ) is if you bump the headset aginst something it throws the ANR off and gets louder for a few seconds.
tomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #14

On the other hand, Radio Shack has the Aiwa noise-canceling headphones for $59.99.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #15
ITYT Captain

I think that I need to buy aviator sunglasses. My Oakleys break the seal of my headset and also get pressed firmly against my head by the tight fit and ultimately give me a headache.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:52 PM   #16

You might want to look into the SONY MDR-NC11 Noise Cancelling Fontopia Ear-bud Headphones or the PANASONIC RP-HC50 Noise Cancelling Insidephones if you don’t mind ear buds.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:05 AM   #17

I have a feeling those arent exactly avation headphones, and wouldn't block nearly enough noise (or even have the correct plugs, or be FAA approved...).
Old 02-27-2003, 12:24 AM   #18

Part of your feeling is quite correct. They are, of course, not TSO'd. If they were TSO'd they would be no different and cost maybe ten times as much.

The amount of actual noise cancellation can only be determined by testing, and no other way, no matter what a salesman or other non-technical person may tell you. Price is no indication of performance, either, although it may give snob appeal.

Plugs are standard the world over.

The FAA doesn't have to approve.

I suggested these since they wouldn't interfere with dbaker's glasses.

A good rule is "don't believe the ads, try before you buy."
Old 12-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #19

Plane Quiet Upgrade

My travel buddy and I just returned from a 24,094 mile trip with two of the newest Plane Quiet noise cancelling headsets. Great! Hope I never have to fly without one. :P

The major noticeable change is that the convertable plug has now been replaced by a fixed plug and no separate adaptor is required for either aircraft or computer/portable music system use. A standard 1/8 to 1/4 inch phone jack adaptor is only needed if you are a pilot or want to use them with a home theatre system.

(Geez, when I think of all the money I could have saved not having double windows/extra thick windshield installed, and still wearing passive hear defenders rather then having one of the latest noise cancelling phones . . . guess I just started flying too soon.)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #20

Start your Mold Career with Micro!
  • Nationally recognized
  • Inspection & remediation
  • You choose: online, at-home, live, or web-cast
  • Facilitated support and guidance
For the further details see below

JohnTaverner is offline   Reply With Quote