ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

United Sued for WTC Hijacking Attack

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The widow of a New Hampshire man who was a passenger on the United Air Lines flight that slammed into the World Trade Center filed on Thursday what is believed to be the first suit against an airline stemming from the Sept. 11 attacks.

The wrongful death suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, alleges that United breached its duty to care for the safety of the passengers on Flight 175. The suit filed by Ellen Mariani, whose husband, Louis, was killed in the attack, seeks unspecified damages.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
ITYT Captain

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The widow of a New Hampshire man who was a passenger on the United Air Lines flight that slammed into the World Trade Center filed on Thursday what is believed to be the first suit against an airline stemming from the Sept. 11 attacks.

The wrongful death suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, alleges that United breached its duty to care for the safety of the passengers on Flight 175. The suit filed by Ellen Mariani, whose husband, Louis, was killed in the attack, seeks unspecified damages.

Old 12-21-2001, 04:53 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

You know, I'd normally react pretty poorly to a lawsuit like this one. I'd be inclined to consider the airlines to be victims in this situation as much as the passengers and their families.

But then I consider that United has clearly gone with the lowest-cost security solution by selecting Argenbright to handle their screening and I start to think that maybe Ms. Mariani's claim does have some merit.

With all the embaassing and difficult-to-believe Argenbright-related incidents we've seen in the news lately I'm a lot more willing to believe that United may not have made best efforts to protect the safety of their passengers.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 04:53 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

You know, I'd normally react pretty poorly to a lawsuit like this one. I'd be inclined to consider the airlines to be victims in this situation as much as the passengers and their families.

But then I consider that United has clearly gone with the lowest-cost security solution by selecting Argenbright to handle their screening and I start to think that maybe Ms. Mariani's claim does have some merit.

With all the embaassing and difficult-to-believe Argenbright-related incidents we've seen in the news lately I'm a lot more willing to believe that United may not have made best efforts to protect the safety of their passengers.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:29 AM   #5
daa

Send a message via ICQ to daa Send a message via MSN to daa
The only thing is , nothing on sept 11 was illegal, knives with blades < 4" were OK thru security per FAA rules, so security was NOT really at fault, and FAA/Airline hijack procedures were " cooperate and do what ever the hijackers ask in the air" since in the past all hijackers wanted to go somewhere or make some political statement to the media, not commit suicide.
daa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:29 AM   #6
daa

Send a message via ICQ to daa Send a message via MSN to daa
The only thing is , nothing on sept 11 was illegal, knives with blades < 4" were OK thru security per FAA rules, so security was NOT really at fault, and FAA/Airline hijack procedures were " cooperate and do what ever the hijackers ask in the air" since in the past all hijackers wanted to go somewhere or make some political statement to the media, not commit suicide.
daa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:44 AM   #7
ITYT Captain

What about a UAL ticket agent that accepts cash for multiple foreign pax traveling on full-fare one-way first class tickets and doesn't flag the reservation for investigation?

That is negligence.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:44 AM   #8
ITYT Captain

What about a UAL ticket agent that accepts cash for multiple foreign pax traveling on full-fare one-way first class tickets and doesn't flag the reservation for investigation?

That is negligence.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:24 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to RyJones
You say that today...

pre-september 11 it would be racial harrasment or profiling. You can't have it both ways.
RyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:24 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to RyJones
You say that today...

pre-september 11 it would be racial harrasment or profiling. You can't have it both ways.
RyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:54 PM   #11
ITYT Captain

What about a UAL ticket agent that accepts cash for multiple pax traveling on full-fare one-way first class tickets and doesn't flag the reservation for investigation?

Regardless of natural origin, that is negligence.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:54 PM   #12
ITYT Captain

What about a UAL ticket agent that accepts cash for multiple pax traveling on full-fare one-way first class tickets and doesn't flag the reservation for investigation?

Regardless of natural origin, that is negligence.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:21 AM   #13

I think this is just another way that someone is trying to make money off of an unfortunate situation.

USAtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote