ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > General Travel Topics > General Travel > Potpourri
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2001, 03:11 AM   #1
ITYT Captain

Ex-Governor Runs for Empty Seat

Quote:
So there he was, flying home Sept. 21 on United Flight 1227 from Washington -- where he had just received White House briefings on national security matters -- to California. Just as the plane was getting underway, Wilson moved himself up from the cheap seats to the back of the business class section, settling in an empty row in the half-empty Boeing 777. . .
Anyone here seen it happen or done it themselves?

I've had a few people sit next to me in first class when I was pretty sure that they stole the seat.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:11 AM   #2
ITYT Captain

Ex-Governor Runs for Empty Seat

Quote:
So there he was, flying home Sept. 21 on United Flight 1227 from Washington -- where he had just received White House briefings on national security matters -- to California. Just as the plane was getting underway, Wilson moved himself up from the cheap seats to the back of the business class section, settling in an empty row in the half-empty Boeing 777. . .
Anyone here seen it happen or done it themselves?

I've had a few people sit next to me in first class when I was pretty sure that they stole the seat.

Old 10-22-2001, 07:01 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

There are always those questionable people that sit next to you sometimes, and you just have to wonder, how did you get here? But then I think that I myself donít look like I belong in first class, Iím not some old business man going to Kuala Lumpur. So I let them slide. Itís victimless crime ones you get off the ground, because the airline sure isnít going to sell the seat once the cabin door has closed.
tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:01 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

There are always those questionable people that sit next to you sometimes, and you just have to wonder, how did you get here? But then I think that I myself donít look like I belong in first class, Iím not some old business man going to Kuala Lumpur. So I let them slide. Itís victimless crime ones you get off the ground, because the airline sure isnít going to sell the seat once the cabin door has closed.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:04 PM   #5
ITYT Captain

I'm generally more suspicious when I'm on a narrowbody two-class aircraft and someone comes from the back to sit next to me, as opposed to from the boarding door.

What the hell, though, I don't really care that much. If the person smelled or something, though, I'd probably report it.

Sure, they're not going to sell the seat, but it's certainly not fair. The airline is a victim if it devalues their First Class or Business Class product.

Daniel

Old 10-22-2001, 07:04 PM   #6
ITYT Captain

I'm generally more suspicious when I'm on a narrowbody two-class aircraft and someone comes from the back to sit next to me, as opposed to from the boarding door.

What the hell, though, I don't really care that much. If the person smelled or something, though, I'd probably report it.

Sure, they're not going to sell the seat, but it's certainly not fair. The airline is a victim if it devalues their First Class or Business Class product.

Daniel

Old 10-22-2001, 07:07 PM   #7
ITYT Navigator

I'm guessing that you got to that seat based on an already devalued price, upgraded for example.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:07 PM   #8
ITYT Navigator

I'm guessing that you got to that seat based on an already devalued price, upgraded for example.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:11 PM   #9
ITYT Captain

Sometimes upgraded, but certainly not always.

I think that an upgraded seat is very well deserved, in most cases.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:11 PM   #10
ITYT Captain

Sometimes upgraded, but certainly not always.

I think that an upgraded seat is very well deserved, in most cases.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:24 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to RyJones
I think tycoonjack is just trolling. Regardless, it does steal resources from the airline. The meals in first are only loaded based on the number of people in first. Several times I've seen people get booted from first when meals didn't add up.
RyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 01:24 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to RyJones
I think tycoonjack is just trolling. Regardless, it does steal resources from the airline. The meals in first are only loaded based on the number of people in first. Several times I've seen people get booted from first when meals didn't add up.
RyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:02 AM   #13
ITYT Cabin Crew

Depending upon how crowded FC/BF is, usually the FA's notice and question the interloper. If they don't appear to mind, it doens't bother me.
mauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:02 AM   #14
ITYT Cabin Crew

Depending upon how crowded FC/BF is, usually the FA's notice and question the interloper. If they don't appear to mind, it doens't bother me.
mauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:24 AM   #15
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Yeah, it's difficult to get too upset by this so long as the stowaway in first class doesn't detract from my own enjoyment of the flight. If anything, I'd be a little bit peeved that the person got away with something that I myself would never actually have the nerve to attempt.

I cannot imagine how abysmal your flight experience would be on a long flight if you were the jackass from 32B that they had to kick out of first class in the middle of trying to pushback.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:24 AM   #16
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Yeah, it's difficult to get too upset by this so long as the stowaway in first class doesn't detract from my own enjoyment of the flight. If anything, I'd be a little bit peeved that the person got away with something that I myself would never actually have the nerve to attempt.

I cannot imagine how abysmal your flight experience would be on a long flight if you were the jackass from 32B that they had to kick out of first class in the middle of trying to pushback.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:14 PM   #17

Having never flown in anything better than "bend-over" class, I can only look forward and try, with all my will, to see through that little curtain...
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:14 PM   #18

Having never flown in anything better than "bend-over" class, I can only look forward and try, with all my will, to see through that little curtain...
phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:48 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
That's why 747's are so great. They put you on a separate level from the common crud. No chance of someone dashing into a seat there, not to mention the highly reduced chances of your flight being upset by a crying baby from coach.
chodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:48 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to chodson Send a message via MSN to chodson Send a message via Yahoo to chodson
That's why 747's are so great. They put you on a separate level from the common crud. No chance of someone dashing into a seat there, not to mention the highly reduced chances of your flight being upset by a crying baby from coach.

chodson is offline   Reply With Quote