ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Car Rental > Hertz
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2001, 01:52 PM   #1
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Sometimes I get the feeling that the car rental agencies try just a little bit too hard to pattern their loyalty programs after the successful airline programs that started the trend. The whole concept of getting a car "upgrade" that put me into a hulking behemoth like a Crown Victoria never has made much sense to me. I've always objected to the apparant belief that renters who selected standard or midsized cars were doing so simply due to economics and would naturally be driving a Town Car if only they could afford it.

Frankly, the last thing I want in an unfamiliar city is a car so large that I can't keep track of where the edges are.

A byproduct of this attitude with Hertz, of course, is the complete lack of NeverLost GPS systems in anything but the largest cars in their fleet. This has always been their policy in the past whenever I've raised the issue with the counter staff.

Tonight I booked a car for my time in D.C. (AUS-IAH-BWI-IAH-AUS) next week. Since it's possible that I'll be chauffering one or two of my cow-orkers for the hour drive from BWI to D.C. Metro I changed from the normal "2 DR SPORTY" I usually rent and opted instead for a "STANDARD MAZDA 626 OR SIMILAR" rental.

I was quite shocked and pleased to see my confirmation page on the web site include some text I've not seen before...

NEVERLOST NAVIGATIONAL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED

Wow. This is so encouraging! Of course my trip report will detail if I actually get the thing in my car, but hey, it's a great indicator that perhaps Hertz is realizing their previous misunderstanding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nugget on 2001-11-08 12:56 ]</font>

Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
ITYT Navigator

Sometimes I get the feeling that the car rental agencies try just a little bit too hard to pattern their loyalty programs after the successful airline programs that started the trend. The whole concept of getting a car "upgrade" that put me into a hulking behemoth like a Crown Victoria never has made much sense to me. I've always objected to the apparant belief that renters who selected standard or midsized cars were doing so simply due to economics and would naturally be driving a Town Car if only they could afford it.

Frankly, the last thing I want in an unfamiliar city is a car so large that I can't keep track of where the edges are.

A byproduct of this attitude with Hertz, of course, is the complete lack of NeverLost GPS systems in anything but the largest cars in their fleet. This has always been their policy in the past whenever I've raised the issue with the counter staff.

Tonight I booked a car for my time in D.C. (AUS-IAH-BWI-IAH-AUS) next week. Since it's possible that I'll be chauffering one or two of my cow-orkers for the hour drive from BWI to D.C. Metro I changed from the normal "2 DR SPORTY" I usually rent and opted instead for a "STANDARD MAZDA 626 OR SIMILAR" rental.

I was quite shocked and pleased to see my confirmation page on the web site include some text I've not seen before...

NEVERLOST NAVIGATIONAL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED

Wow. This is so encouraging! Of course my trip report will detail if I actually get the thing in my car, but hey, it's a great indicator that perhaps Hertz is realizing their previous misunderstanding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nugget on 2001-11-08 12:56 ]</font>

Old 11-08-2001, 04:28 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

It seems to me that rental car companies should have two classes of upgrades, either sporty or luxury. And when you get bumped up, it would be into either of these two classes.

While the cars still are not true luxury or sports cars, it would be better if you could specify what you will most likely get upgraded to.
tycoonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:28 PM   #4
ITYT Navigator

It seems to me that rental car companies should have two classes of upgrades, either sporty or luxury. And when you get bumped up, it would be into either of these two classes.

While the cars still are not true luxury or sports cars, it would be better if you could specify what you will most likely get upgraded to.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #5
ITYT Captain

Are you claiming that our PT Cruisers weren't performance automobiles?

[img]/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]

*ducks*
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #6
ITYT Captain

Are you claiming that our PT Cruisers weren't performance automobiles?

[img]/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]

*ducks*
Old 11-08-2001, 04:31 PM   #7
ITYT Navigator

Well, mine, the limited edition, was. I don't know about yours.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:31 PM   #8
ITYT Navigator

Well, mine, the limited edition, was. I don't know about yours.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:37 PM   #9
ITYT Captain

I always get the impression that the Hertz people are genuinely surprised when they see me, with my one briefcase, tell them that I'd still prefer the 2-door after they explain that the taurus that they've "upgraded" me to can, "fit 5 people and 8 full-size bags!"

It's humorous when two people have a complete failing when attempting to communicate and understand eachother.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:37 PM   #10
ITYT Captain

I always get the impression that the Hertz people are genuinely surprised when they see me, with my one briefcase, tell them that I'd still prefer the 2-door after they explain that the taurus that they've "upgraded" me to can, "fit 5 people and 8 full-size bags!"

It's humorous when two people have a complete failing when attempting to communicate and understand eachother.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:40 PM   #11

Hey Nugget, I've got some (possibly) bad news for you. The rental car business at BWI has been so screwed up since 911 that when you get there and see what's going on, you'll be happy to get a car, any car.
I would like a report, because I have been avoiding going in to BWI for the past few weeks because of this, but I will be coming to DC from Southwest territory near the end of the month and fares to BWI are much lower than the two other airports.
monitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:40 PM   #12

Hey Nugget, I've got some (possibly) bad news for you. The rental car business at BWI has been so screwed up since 911 that when you get there and see what's going on, you'll be happy to get a car, any car.
I would like a report, because I have been avoiding going in to BWI for the past few weeks because of this, but I will be coming to DC from Southwest territory near the end of the month and fares to BWI are much lower than the two other airports.
monitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 10:20 PM   #13
ITYT Navigator

Well, that sure doesn't sound very encouraging. It's to be expected, I suppose, given the disruption to D.C. air travel since 11-Sep.

My trip is this Wed/Thu, and I will of course be posting the trip report here. Cross your fingers for me.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:20 PM   #14
ITYT Navigator

Well, that sure doesn't sound very encouraging. It's to be expected, I suppose, given the disruption to D.C. air travel since 11-Sep.

My trip is this Wed/Thu, and I will of course be posting the trip report here. Cross your fingers for me.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:47 PM   #15
ITYT Navigator

Just noticed an ad that Hertz now has S-type Jaguars. Now that sounds like a good upgrade.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:47 PM   #16
ITYT Navigator

Just noticed an ad that Hertz now has S-type Jaguars. Now that sounds like a good upgrade.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:03 AM   #17
ITYT Navigator

Swiggy and I rented a Jaguar from Hertz in SFO one week. It was pretty enjoyable, for a rental car. Certainly, not my style at all, but it sure beats being in Yet Another 626.

Tomorrow's the day for my BWI rental. I sure hope it's got the GPS unit.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:03 AM   #18
ITYT Navigator

Swiggy and I rented a Jaguar from Hertz in SFO one week. It was pretty enjoyable, for a rental car. Certainly, not my style at all, but it sure beats being in Yet Another 626.

Tomorrow's the day for my BWI rental. I sure hope it's got the GPS unit.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:43 AM   #19
ITYT Navigator

For what it's worth, the 626 did not have a NeverLost unit in it. The counter staff at BWI offered to put me in a Volvo that they thought might have NeverLost, but when I got to the car it didn't.

Old 11-28-2001, 11:43 AM   #20
ITYT Navigator

For what it's worth, the 626 did not have a NeverLost unit in it. The counter staff at BWI offered to put me in a Volvo that they thought might have NeverLost, but when I got to the car it didn't.