ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > Continental Airlines (CO)
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
ITYT Captain

Upgrade process now rewards Elite members by fare class.

Upgrade process now rewards Elite members by fare class.

Quote:
NEW - Restricted fare class: Beginning February 1, 2003, upgrade priority within Elite level will be based on fare class purchased. The fare class structure in priority order is as follows: H, K, B, V, Q and T.
It was only a matter of time. At least all fares are eligible.

One interesting aspect of this is that most of the high fares are purchased just a few days before the flight, when your 5-day (plat) T-fare upgrade could have already cleared. As a result, A9F0 all of a sudden can be a problem if you're on a cheap fare.

dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #2

Do you know if Northwest will be doing the same?

NWgoldelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
ITYT Navigator

Send a message via AIM to Nugget
At 06:13 this morning I got an EUA email for my IAH->IND segment on Friday, so clearly Continental has not completely discontinued the practice of clearing seats in time to make the 5/3/1-day elite EUA windows. I suspect I won't hear anything about the AUS->IAH leg until the day of my travel, though. Based on recent flights, I probably won't know for sure if I'm EUAd until I arrive at the airport to board the flight.

It seems to me that Continental has taken their published and predictable EUA policies and layed them down on top of a manually-controlled and unpredictable system where revenue control chooses on a flight-by-flight basis when to release seats. This significantly reduces the appeal of EUA for me.

With the most recent changes, now Continental has two motivators for not clearing seats -- where before they just needed to keep enough seats open to meet the predicted demand for full-fare F purchases (which is low on IAH->IND, I'm sure) now they are also motivated to withhold EUAs to capture higher-fare, last-minute coach ticket purchases in order to actually honor the new EUA policies.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:24 AM   #4

Re: Upgrade process now rewards Elite members by fare class.

Quote:
NEW - Restricted fare class: Beginning February 1, 2003, upgrade priority within Elite level will be based on fare class purchased. The fare class structure in priority order is as follows: H, K, B, V, Q and T.
Interesting, I would have thought Y would be first.

1. Are they still going to charge $300 for B & V, $400 for Q & T when you want to buy upgrades with miles?

2. Is there a listing of Northwest fare codes somewhere? I emailed them and they came back with a bunch of unhelpful words followed by the URL of a site which didn't say anything useful.
merchanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:51 AM   #5
ITYT Captain

Re: Upgrade process now rewards Elite members by fare class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchanb
Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought Y would be first.
Y fare upgrades are automatic at time of booking and EUA doesn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrechanb
1. Are they still going to charge $300 for B & V, $400 for Q & T when you want to buy upgrades with miles?
That's only for upgrades to BusinessFirst -- and yes, they are.
dbaker is offline   Reply With Quote