ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
ITYT Cabin Crew

First flight on airtran

Just got back from my flight on a few of the 717's and I must say I like em. The entire crew was very friendly and professional. On the first flight 999 from PIT to FLL was as smooth as can be the entire flight was awesome I actually told the F/O nice flight on the way out the captain must got the hell outta dodge quick.

This is the part that sucks.
FLL to ATL flight 80 got to the ticket counter 2hrs early and was told the flight has been delayed. And by the time I would arrive in ATL my connecting flight would have already left. But for some reason I bitched a little and all the sudden I was allowed to go. So I went on my way to the gate and waited around and a guy came on the intercom and said that the aircraft will be there at 9:00 p.m it didnt' show up until 9:30p.m and didn't even get to the runway until 10:00p.m. Then had to circle ATL for about 30min due to heavy traffic entering the airport. So at FLL I asked to change my destination from PIT to CAK and that was handled no problem. When I got to ATL I asked to get my bag because my destination changed and because there was so many people at this airport at 1:00a.m they had a hard time handeling it. So I had to spend the night in ATL got a room at the Fairfield Inn for $75.00 for 3 1/2 hours. When I got there I called Airtran and told them I needed my bags off flight 988 to pittsburgh to flight 204 to canton Akron. When I got to ATL about 5:00 a.m they had my bags there with others in a pile and they even locked them up for us which was good I found a women in the Airtran baggage center and she gladly unlocked ours and we were on our way home. The seats are a little uncomfy and the legroom is minimal we had seats 12A and 12C. on the way home we had exit rows 21A and C and the legroom is awesome i will be requesting these seats on future Airtran flights. So on the other note the guys in the flight deck are awesome and so are the flight attendents. The aircraft are very stable. Apparently this was due to weather for the delays so i got out my laptop and checked the weater channel website and didn't see anything that would cause so many delays so who knows stuff happens I just got off a cruise and didn't sleep much and was tired and wanted to go home but hey what can ya do?? So on the other hand i'm very happy with Airtran and will fly them again in the future.

AirlineFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #2

I'm glad you had a pretty uneventful flight and experience with us. Please understand that the weather in ATL or anywhere up and down the east coast upsets the flight schedule's all day. So even if the bad weather happened in the day or early evening its very hard to get back on schedule for the rest of that day. Plus all the other airlines are behind also and everyone is fighting to get the flights out and in because they know that by night time the airport will be a mess with all the overnight aircraft trying to get home. This whole summer has been unbelievably crazy (in ATL and the east coast) with weather and has made my nights very, very long, but we always seem to recover in time to start the next day right. So thanks again for understanding and I'm glad that you noticed the little things that we do to help keep the bad times from getting worse (locking up bags, changing flts, ect..). Hope to see you soon on another AirTran Airways flight.

jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
ITYT Cabin Crew

I'll be on future Airtran flights for sure. For short haul flights the 717 is the way to go as long as ur in exit row 21 for legroom and comfort purposes. I was just upset that I did not get onboard a plane that had XM radio installed i'm sure it will all be finished by my next flight. For sure ATL was a madhouse at 1:00 a.m when all the flights started to land. The only thing that kinda sucked is i had to pay $75.00 for a room for 4 hours. But stuff happens. I couldnt' sleep in the airport because everyone was snooring and i can't sleep + my sweatshirts were in my checked luggage and the airport was so cold for some reason I was shivvering. But on the other hand had a great 1st experience with u guys and look forward to future flights
Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 PM   #4

Hello all.

I'm a newbie here and a nervous flyer. I have an upcoming trip to FLL via Air Tran in October for a family cruise. I hadn't heard of Air Tran when our tickets were purchased so I decided to do some homework. I've visited a fear of flying website and from what I have read, airlines that are not major carriers are discouraged. I then found this site and I got facts instead of only opinions. After reading most of the posts on here, especially from the mechanics and pilots that work for Air Tran, most of my fears have been put to rest.

I have flown many, many times on major and the not-so-major airlines. I have more facts now about the planes themselves and the people who work on and fly these planes than I could have asked for. BIG thanks to the people who post here who have great things to say about Air Tran. Safety is the number one priority and I'm relieved to know that pride is taken in what you do.

In my mind, knowledge is power and again, HUGE thanks for all of the facts that have been posted here.
Vetter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #5

Thanks vetter! and I hope you enjoy your cruise, and I really hope you enjoy your flight with AirTran (although you will have more fun on the cruise....sorry thats hard to beat. lol). If the weather is good then there shouldn't be any reason why your travel days aren't uneventful. Please write back and let us know how the flight (and trip) went. Thanks again for believing in what we as mechanics, pilots, flight attendants, and everyone at AirTran believe in and thats a safe and customer friendly airline that we would put up against any other one out there.
jetmech717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the reassurance, jet! Although I really don't like to fly, I feel better knowing that everyone is concerned about safety, theirs as well as everyone else's on the flight. I'm sure that I'll be bugging you guys between now and then, if that's ok!

I will be sure to let you know how everything goes. I'm looking forward to the vacation, as I haven't been on a cruise since 1981. I'm sure that I'll enjoy it much more as an adult than as a 12 yr old!

I do have one question: I was reading other posts and it was mentioned that Air Tran contracts out some of it's planes. What is that all about? I may have that wrong but if that's true, is safety somehow not up to par when that happens? Sorry but I'm needing all of the reassurance that I can get!

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
ITYT Cabin Crew

Hello:

First of all, as much as I enjoy my job, I sure wish my next flight ended in a cruise, instead of a layover in an airline crew hotel.

Anyway, thanks for choosing to fly on us, and I hope you have a great time. I should probably add that all airline employees have seen at least a few panicky cruise ship passengers whose flight has been delayed or cancelled, and now they are worried about making their cruise ship departure. I hope that you made your flight reservation with that in mind- I would always make sure that there is one more flight after yours that would allow you to make your sailing time if your other flight should become delayed, or cancelled . . . . if you're not sure, please look into it. Flight delays or cancellations are an unfortunate part of air travel, and I would hate to see you have to get stressed out over making your sailing time.

Other than that, I hope you have a wonderful time. In regards to your question about AirTran, all of our flights are operated by AirTran crews in AirTran aircraft. In years past, we did have some agreements with other airlines, but now we do all of our own flights, and in our own aircraft.

Regards,

Capt. Speaking.
Captain Speaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
ITYT Cabin Crew

haha that's funny your gonna fly this airline for your cruise. I just got back from my cruise using AirTran as my airline of choice and will most likely use them for future flights to florida. Seats can be a little uncomfy. Just see if you can get in row 21 exit row alot more leg room for ya. Your gonna be on the 717 I think the aircraft is awesome. I didn't experience any kinda turbulace on the way down. We did bounce around a little coming into ATL from FLL nothing the 717 can't handle combined with the excellent crew in the cockpit If your that nervous whip out your Credit/Debit card have the flight attendents bring you some booze. I ended up getting trashed on the way down it all started with the captain coming on and saying if you can guess my nationality you get a drink on the house. I knew his accent cause i have a buddy that speaks like him and he was from norway and 1 corona led to 6 more corona's + the 2 i drank in the airport prior to the flight. Sit back relax have a good flight your in good hands.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #9

Hello again!

Jet, Captain and Fanatic - you guys are the best! Taking the time to talk to wimps like me really says something! I am finally able to relax more and actually look forward to this trip, instead of dreading it. I used to love to fly but as an adult, I have grown to fear it. My imagination is entirely too active and I'm glad that I have more facts now. My parents, husband and son love to fly and I'm the only wuss in the group. The "get over it" speech that I usually get doesn't quite help me!

Captain: Thanks so much for the advice on timing. We don't sail until Sunday but we are getting in to FLL on Saturday night so I'm hoping that all will go well. Also, thanks for answering my question. I'm sure you run into people like me all the time!
Cruises are great fun and here's hoping that you'll get a vacation soon! I think by the time I get off the ship, I'd be able to fill myself with helium, tie a rope around my ankle and float in the the Macy's parade.

Fanatic: Pass the Corona over this way!

Just a comment: Since I read your posts, I've had the video of Van Halen's "Dreams" (the one with the Blue Angels) running through my head. Like I said, my imagination is WAY too active. I'm really dating myself, aren't I?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #10
ITYT Cabin Crew

Hey if u don't like to fly pass ur tickets this way i love to fly and cruise nothing is better By the way what cruise line and ship are you on. I was just on the Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean. Belize,Hondurus,Grand Cayman,Cozumel mexico.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #11

Vetter2112 wrote:

Quote:
I'm sure that I'll be bugging you guys between now and then, if that's ok!
Ask away we are always here to help when we can, Thanks for flying with us! Have a great trip
717Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #12

Thanks a lot, doc. I'm looking forward to this more than I thought I would. Again, it's so good to know that this is a "safety first" operation. I have read on other websites to choose an airline wisely, union vs. non-union airlines, pilot fatigue, etc. Can you shed any more light on these subjects? I read so much of this stuff on another website, it was starting to give me a headache. I'd like to get some other opinions, though.

Fanatic - We are sailing with Princess Cruises and doing the standard Western Caribbean thing: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Bahamas. It's the same cruise I was on before but I will love being able to share it with my husband and kids.

Many thanks to all of you!!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM   #13
ITYT Cabin Crew

My First AirTran Flight

My first airtran flight was interesting.....but normal
adhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #14

adhawaiian, wrote:

Quote:
My first airtran flight was interesting.....but normal

Is this a good thing or bad? Please tell us.

717Doc is offline   Reply With Quote