ITYT Travel Forums  

Go Back   ITYT Travel Forums > Travel Companies & Programs > Airlines & Frequent Flier Programs > AirTran Airways (FL)
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #1

Why the 737?

I have always been a fan of the DC-9, MD-80, and 717 series. I was just curious as to why Airtran has decided to add the 737 to its stable. I assume it must have some advantages over the 717.

johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #2

Expansion

Johan, I'm a big fan of AirTran's 717s myslef. Welcome to the discussion

AirTran's purchase of the 737-700(800) is mainly due to future route expansion, with a little bit of existing route tweaking thrown in. Since their main hub is located in Atlanta and their latest additions are Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Fransisco with other western destinations to come (Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Seattle, etc.), the 737 offers the range flexibility that AirTran is looking for over the more limited range 717. Boeing is considering an 717ER, but not in time for AirTran. AirTran has also stated that they are looking forward to serving Canada, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean in the next few years and the 737 is more suited to that role. European destinations are also in their sights, eventually.

AirTran also plans to tweak some existing routes, using the larger seating capacity of the 737 to service the higher volume flights. When asked if AirTran was considering purchasing a commuter fleet like the CRJ, an AirTran spokesman said "We already have our commuter feeder in the 717, and the advantages of a 100-seater over a 50-seater is self-evident." Surely the 717 will remain an integral part of AirTran's shorter-haul backbone (Atlanta-DC, Atlanta-Orlando, etc.), but apparently they also plan to restructure some 717s into "feeder" flights for the larger 737 on longer routes (New York-Los Angeles, Atlanta-San Fransisco, Atlanta-Mexico City, etc.). The 737-700 holds roughly the same number of passengers as the 717, but can outfly the 717 by approximately 1,500 miles. The -700 will probably service the lower passenger volume long range routes. The 737-800 can hold upwards of 170 passengers (approximately 60 more than the 717) and has similar range to the -700 model. The -800 will most likely service the higher passenger volume long range routes. AirTran has stated they will be purchasing both the smaller -700 and the larger -800 models.

Hope this has helped answer some of your questions

haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:16 PM   #3

717 vs 737

Thanks Haze for the info. I figured there must be some good reasons. Evidently there have been a lot more upgrades to the 37 over the years. I would love to see a 717 ER. Maybe there will be enough demand in the future.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote